Letter from the Editor Opinion

Letter from the Editor: We have a new sister

I have a younger sister who is my opposite in every way. She likes pink; I like blue. She’s tall; I’m short. She’s a dancer, and I’m not. We compliment each other.

In the print issue (our biggest one of the school year), you’ll notice there’s something different: it feels a bit lighter. At only 44 pages, it’s our smallest Back to School section in a while and there’s a reason for that. There’s no Life and Arts section.

No, we didn’t forget to send it to the printers. And no, we didn’t forget to assign stories to fill the space with.

It just doesn’t exist anymore.

Now, I’m not saying it’s because it wasn’t successful, and not because we didn’t like it. Realistically, it wasn’t working. The content wasn’t new or innovative and, really, most readers glossed over it on their way to the sports section.

So, we came up with an idea. A fresh, innovative take on all of the subjects that you, the reader, care about. Entertainment? Check. Food? Yeah, we’re going to talk about that. We’ll even try to help you find a place to live off-campus (for those early birds who want to know what they’re doing a year ahead of time.)

This summer, The Cougar’s little sister was born. Her name is Cooglife and she’s decided that she wants to be the diva in the family that steals all of the attention. She’s the social butterfly — a magazine that wants to tell you about the fun things happening around campus and the city.

She’s gonna leave all the responsibility to The Cougar, which is going to focus on giving you more concentrated, accurate and timely news, sports and opinion coverage.

Any trace of movie or concert-related anythings can be found with coverage done by our friends at Coog Radio and CoogTV and you can look to The Cougar for all of your newsy stuff.

In times like these, where Buzzfeed rules the Internet in providing anything from presidential coverage to cat videos of the day, our organization needed to maintain a way to keep all of our coverage fresh. Sometimes, changing how it’s curated and published is the best answer.

Our sister publication is going to have a great year ahead of her, seeing as this is her first on campus. It’s going to be a new experience for you and us. We’ve never published a magazine before, and UH has never had a publication dedicated solely to lifestyle and entertainment.

Like me and my sister, The Cougar and Cooglife compliment each other. And like most sisters, we’re going to be trying to outdo each other through all aspects of life — or in our case, coverage.

Glissette Santana, editor in chief