Cougars survive Cardinals late in shoot out

Junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr., left, impressed as the starting quarterback, throwing for 275 yards and one score, while rushing for two more touchdowns. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Senior running back Kenneth Farrow, center, rushed for 109 yards on 27 carriers for the Cougars, powering the run game. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars squared off with the University of Louisville Cardinals on Saturday afternoon, and in a back-and-forth game and the Cougars were triumphant taking a 34-31 win.

The offenses for both teams were potent, but four turnovers forced by the Cougars defense helped the Cougars cause.

UH got off to a hot start on the afternoon, holding Louisville to a three-and-out in their first drive of the game, forcing a punt.

The Cougars drove the length of the field on the ensuing drive, and junior quarterback Greg Ward, Jr. connected with sophomore wide receiver Steven Dunbar for the first touchdown of the afternoon.

Louisville responded in kind, as freshman quarterback Lamar Jackson led the Cardinals down the field and into the end-zone, tying the game.

The Cougars and Cardinals traded possessions for a while until the Cougars were able to again take the lead, following a field-goal from senior kicker Kyle Bullard.

Louisville took the lead for the first time at the end of the half, as Jackson found his receiver in the end-zone to give the Cardinals the 14-10 lead going into half time.

The Cardinals added to their lead in the third quarter, with a 36-yard field goal following an interception of Ward, which extended the lead to 17-10.

The Cougars responded quickly, as junior corner back Brandon Wilson returned the kickoff 100-yards to tie the game at 17.

Following an interception by senior Cougar safety Trevon Stewart, UH pulled ahead again, as Kyle Bullard shook off a couple of misses to nail a 21-yard field goal, pushing the Cougars in front, 20-17.

The Cougars and Cardinals traded touchdowns on the next three drives, with the Cardinals moving in front, 31-27 on a 29-yard touchdown pass from backup red-shirt sophomore quarterback Kyle Bolin.

The Cougars again showed resiliency and composure, as Ward connected with junior receiver Demarcus Ayers for a score, putting the Cougars in front by three, 34-31, with just over three minutes remaining.

Louisville received the ball with a chance to win the game, and orchestrated a drive down into Cougar territory.

On 4th and 11 from the Cougars 36, Louisville missed a 54-yard field goal, giving the ball back the Cougars with just 49 seconds left.

The Cougars ran the clock out and seal the road victory, 34-31.

In an offensive shoot out, the Cougars came out the victors due to some spectacular plays by Ward and four turnovers forced by the defense.

With the win, the Cougars move to 2-0 on the season, and will look forward to a home match-up with Texas State University in two weeks.