Houston to become third largest city

Houston currently weighs in as the fourth-largest city in the U.S., trailing closely behind the Windy City, Chicago. However, that’s set to change. If the most recent population trends remain constant for their respective cities, Houston will surpass Chicago by 2030.

As it stands, Houston has a population of about 2.23 million, and it’s growing rapidly. Houston’s population has grown by an average of 1.59 percent over the past four years – racing ahead of Chicago’s 0.23 percent average annual increase.

Business sophomore Alexis Silverstone cited immigration as the reason for Houston’s rapid growth.

“We have so many immigrants coming from Central and South America, and on top of that we also have people coming from Europe and Africa,” Silverstone said.

Houston’s rapid growth can also be accredited to the availability of employment opportunities.

“We have the oil fields, and the unemployment rate is so much better here than everywhere else, so everybody’s moving down here for that,” liberal studies junior Veronica Castillo said. “And the cost of living is a lot cheaper.”

These factors make Houston a very attractive place to live in for many people, but there is one consideration in particular that accounts for the disparity between Chicago’s stagnation and Houston’s enduring growth.

“We have a lot of space here,” communications senior Jade Bailey said. “I’ve never been all over Houston. You can never feel like you’ve gotten to know the whole city.”

Compared to Chicago’s 228 square mile reach, Houston is a 600 square mile giant.

“We definitely have the space to accommodate the people that are coming in,” Bailey said.

For Houston’s part, its citizens are welcoming the promise of a greater population, especially as it pertains to diversification.

UH’s standing as the second most diverse university in the country is a point of pride for the city and it is representative of Houston’s potential.

“I don’t think I’d be able to be happy in any other university anywhere else because of its lack of diversity,” Bailey said. “Growing up in Houston you get so used to seeing all colors of the rainbow and every type of person.”