Opinion Staff Editorial

Think pink? Think purple, too

The time and money dedicated to a fight against breast cancer every October is a noble cause that receives a lot of pink-themed attention — the kind that generates billions in funding for research toward prevention and treatment.

It’s wonderful that so many people commit to educating themselves on a healthcare issue that threatens the lives of about 1 in 8 women in the United States, but there’s a greater threat which affects a larger amount of people that needs advocacy.

October is also National Domestic Violence Awareness Month and uses the symbol of a purple ribbon. Adapted from a “Day of Unity,” this initiate has evolved into a month of programs centered on “mourning those who have died because of domestic violence, celebrating those who have survived, and connecting those who work to end violence.”

The issue of abuse too often goes without discussion and is kept shrouded in secrecy, but it affects every type person. Now is the time to talk about it.

Nearly 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men in the United States have been victimized by their partners. This does not account for the vast amount of cases that go unreported. Regardless of age, gender, or background, every person can experience the physical and emotional abuse from someone they trust.

In his Presidential Proclamation, President Barack Obama encourages Americans to “recognize the survivors and victims of abuse whose courage inspires us all…and we (need to) remind them that they are not alone.”

It’s about time we refocus our efforts to a more immediate threat. Banning together to stand for the safety of friends, family and loved ones should be an outspoken matter.

Larger government programs such as the It’s On Us campaign invites people to make a “personal commitment to keep women and men safe” and to share their pledge publicly on social media.

The promise to “not be a bystander to the problem, but to be a part of the solution” should be taken as seriously as cancer.

Domestic violence isn’t pretty or pink. It’s a grim reality that needs to be confronted head on. People may not like to talk about relationship violence, but the only way to end abuse is to speak out against it. Be a part of the solution instead of the silence.

— The Cougar Editorial Board