News Uncategorized

Five things to look forward to this week

To start your Monday morning off right, here are a few events to look forward to this week including CLASS, the engineering program and the Presidents’ Fall Address.

October 12: An Evening with Poet Richard Blanco

Student Center South Houston Room at 6 p.m.

Richard Blanco is a poet who explores cultural, gender and sexual identity in America. Blanco was selected to read one of his works during President Obama’s 2013 inauguration. As part of UH’s Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, the Center for Diversity and Inclusion Fall Speaker Series features “An Evening with Poet Richard Blanco.” The event is free and open to the public.

For more information about the event visit the Center for Diversity and Inclusion’s website or call 713-743-6047.

October 13: Your Brain On Art: Exquisite Corpse

Blaffer Art Museum, 4173 Elgin St. from 6:30 to 8 p.m.

The first in a series of events is part of a groundbreaking collaboration between Blaffer Art Museum, Houston-based artists and the University of Houston’s Noninvasive Brain-Machine Interface Systems Laboratory. They will attempt to find clues to what happens in the brain as people create and contemplate art.

Seating is very limited at this event. Please reserve a free ticket to guarantee seating up to five minutes before the event start time.

October 14: President’s Fall Address

Moores Opera House from 10 to 11:30 a.m.

President Khator addresses the campus’ collective accomplishments and reflects on the goals shared for the future as UH continues on its path to overall excellence.

Individuals requiring special accommodations should contact Tonja Jones at 713-743-8838 or [email protected] by October 7.

October 14: Collaboration: Women Re-Making American Political Culture

M.D. Anderson Library starting at 11:30 a.m.

Gain inspiration from the past politics of the present are evaluated at UH’s symposium, Collaboration. Some of the highlights include: who’s who in politics panel at 11:30 a.m., cutting edge research panels in the afternoon, Shuart women’s history archive gems on display and Nation Public Radio White House correspondent Tamara Keith’s frontline view at 7 p.m. at the Student Center Theater.

October 15: Women in Engineering Networking and Welcome Event

Hilton at the University of Houston, Shamrock Room from 6 to 8 p.m.

Each year, female engineering students, faculty and alumnae of the UH Cullen College of Engineering come together for Women in Engineering Day. The event fosters a community of support among women engineering students and professionals.

Students can RSVP for this event at https://www.egr.uh.edu/wie/events.