Commentary Football Sports

Tale of the Tape: Houston versus Tulane

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1408

Junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. rushes in for one of four touchdowns against SMU. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The No. 24 Cougars (5-0, 2-0) take their undefeated record on the road Friday as they travel to New Orleans for a matchup against their AAC rival Tulane Green Wave (2-3, 1-1). The Cougars are coming off a dominant 49-28 victory over the SMU Mustangs, while the Green Wave fell to the Temple Owls last Saturday 10-49.

Who will step up for the Cougars as they try to avenge last season’s loss at TDECU stadium?

Quarterback matchup: Greg Ward Jr. vs. Devin Powell

Greg Ward Jr.

The reigning AAC offensive player of the week enshrined himself in the Cougar record books with a four-touchdown performance against SMU. Ward now has 11 rushing touchdowns on the season, already the most in a single season by a Cougar quarterback, breaking the record of 10 set by Case Keenum in 2007. Ward was in control of the Cougar offense throughout the game, going 16-for-18 in the air with 243 yards and picking up 82 rushing yards on 14 carries.

Devin Powell

The redshirt junior is slated to make his fourth career start for the Green Wave after starter Tanner Lee was ruled out due to a concussion. This season Powell has appeared in four games going five-for-eight with 69 yards and a touchdown. His first start of the season comes against a defense that forced three fumbles and recorded five sacks against SMU.

Who wins: While Powell will look to make the most of his opportunity, Ward is one of the most electrifying players in the nation and will look to continue his stellar season.

Running back matchup: Kenneth Farrow vs. Sherman Badie

Kenneth Farrow

The senior was limited against SMU, gaining only 40 yards on 11 carries, but he made the most of his opportunities as he scored three of the seven touchdowns surrendered by the Mustangs. Farrow faces a Tulane defense that’s given up 11 rushing touchdowns and 165 rushing yards per game, including a season-high 439 against Georgia Tech’s triple option offense in week two.

Sherman Badie

The redshirt sophomore looks to make his fourth start of the season for the Green Wave, following a tough performance against a talented Temple team, gaining 15 yards on six carries. He now has 22 carries for 138 yards this season with two touchdowns. He faces a tough Cougar defense giving up only 95.8 rushing yards per game.

Who wins: Despite giving up 100 yards to SMU signal-caller Matt Davis last week, the Cougars look to rebound and keep Badie contained while Farrow will take advantage of a porous Green Wave run defense.