AP Poll: Cougars experience another gain in Top 25, sit at 18

512px-Associated_Press_logo_2012.svg

The Cougars moved up three spots again this week in the AP Top 25 poll, moving into 18th place. | File photo/The Cougar

Week eight in the college football season saw a bit of movement, including a couple of upsets over top 10 teams.

UH received yet another bump in the AP Poll Top 25 poll this weekend after taking down the University of Central Florida on the road in Orlando.

The Cougars took a 59-10 and they were rewarded with a three-spot rise in the latest edition of the poll, catapulting into 18th place.

Ohio State University remained atop the polls, picking up 11 first-place votes after a commanding win over the weekend, securing their place as the top team in the nation for now.

Baylor University remained in second place, dropping five votes from last week but holding on to their spot.

Top 5 newcomer Clemson University found themselves at No. 3, followed by Louisiana State University in the fourth spot and Texas Christian University at five.

The University of Utah and Florida State University each dropped from the Top 10, following upset losses in conference play.

Utah experienced the largest fall in the poll, dropping 10 spots, from third place down to 13th, following a 42-24 loss on the road to the unranked University of Southern California.

The University of Mississippi rebounded from dropping the most in the polls last week for the largest upward-move in this week’s edition, with a five-spot improvement to No. 19.

UH, the University of Memphis and Temple University all experienced bumps in this week’s poll, with Memphis picking up two positions to move into sixteenth and Temple jumping one spot into 21st.

Texas A&M University and the University of California, Berkeley both dropped from the rankings, dropping 10 spots and five spots respectively.

The Southeastern Conference leads all conferences with five teams ranked in the Top 25, while the Big 12, Big 10 and Atlantic Coast Conference all follow behind with four teams ranked each. The American Athletic Conference and Pacific 12 Conference each have three teams ranked, while one Mid-American Conference team and one independent team are also ranked.

The Cougars will be looking to improve on their ranking when they return home for a Halloween game against the Vanderbilt University Commodores at 6 p.m.