Sorting out a packed weekend schedule in UH Athletics

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1072

The Cougars will be looking for revenge against the Vanderbilt Commodores after a loss in the BBVA Compass bowl two years ago. | File photo/The Cougar

Athletics is gearing up for a busy weekend to end October and begin November, with programs such as football, basketball and baseball preparing for action.

The men’s baseball team gets the weekend started with the first game of their Red-White series on Thursday at 6 p.m.

The series offers fans a chance to get a look at the baseball team for the first time this year in a three-game series at Cougar Field.

On Friday, baseball again hits the diamond for the second game of the series, and women’s volleyball kicks off a pair of weekend competitions.

Swimming and diving return to the natatorium for the first of their two meets in a matchup against Southern Methodist University.

The women’s volleyball team plays host to the University of Central Florida on Friday at 7 p.m., in a matchup between fifth place teams in the American Athletic Conference.

Saturday is an action-packed day, with cross country kicking it all off by competing at the American Athletic Conference Championships in Grimesland, North Carolina.

Women’s swimming plays host to the University of North Texas in their second meet of the weekend at 11 a.m.

Men’s baseball wraps its series on Saturday, with first pitch slated for 2 p.m. before men’s basketball hits the floor for an intra-squad scrimmage at 3 p.m., in what is the fans’ first look at this new-look team on the court this season.

Finally, football hits the gridiron in a Halloween night blackout game against Vanderbilt University.

The Cougars will be looking for revenge on the football field after suffering a bowl loss to the Commodores two years ago in the BBVA Compass Bowl, while hoping to remain undefeated this year.

The women’s volleyball team wraps the weekend with another conference match-up against the University of South Florida, looking to improve on their conference record and move up in the standings.