Cougars play host to Vanderbilt on Halloween night

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_3153

The Cougars will be looking to exact some revenge on Halloween night over Vanderbilt, who handed the Cougars a loss two years ago in a bowl game. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars are hoping to avoid a trick on Halloween night, as they play host to Vanderbilt University at 6 p.m. in their last out-of-conference game this season.

UH will be looking for revenge against Vanderbilt after a loss suffered in the BBVA Compass Bowl two seasons ago.

This season the Cougars are favored, and while they’re hoping to keep their perfect season, they will be looking for a win over an equal Power 5 Southeastern Conference foe.

The No. 18 Cougars will be looking to boost their record after breezing through a fairly easy schedule so far.

In their last outing, the Cougars dominated the University of Central Florida Knights. Bouncing back from a slow start in the first quarter to pull away in the second half, thanks to some strong running from senior running back Kenneth Farrow.

Farrow carried the ball 13 times, but rushed for 167 yards and found the end zone three times, averaging 12.8 yards per carry.

Junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. had another strong game against UCF, with an efficient game from the pocket.

Ward went 16 of 23 passing for 210 yards, averaging 9.1 per attempt, recording one touchdown. He also rushed for 46 yards and one touchdown on the ground.

The Cougars offense will have their hands full with the Commodores defense, which is in the top-25 in total defense.

While the offense may be facing some adversity, the defense will be savoring the opportunity to play Vanderbilt, as their sophomore quarterback Johnny McCrary has passed for just six touchdowns against 10 touchdowns.

The Cougars and Commodores hit the field Halloween night at 6 p.m. at TDECU, with the Cougars donning black-out uniforms and hoping for a treat to finish October.