Conference roundup: Ranks of unbeaten teams grows smaller

Another week of college football offered a chance to see all 12 American Athletic Conference teams in action, and the ranks of the unbeaten teams shrink.

Houston and Vanderbilt

Halloween offered the 18th ranked Cougars a chance for revenge against the Vanderbilt University Commodores.

UH made the most of their opportunity, controlling the game for most of the night and keeping Vanderbilt off the board for the first shut-out of the season and with eighth straight win for head coach Tom Herman.

Defense played a key role, allowing just 44 passing yards to the Commodores and senior running back Kenneth Farrow rushed for 82 yards and a score in the victory.

The Cougars now improve to 8-0 on the season, sitting at 4-0 in the AAC, keeping pace with other conference opponents.

Memphis and Tulane

The No 16. University of Memphis Tigers returned home for a game against Tulane University, after a season-high 66-point explosion in a road win.

The Tigers fell behind early to the Green Wave, but scored 26 unanswered points in the second half to pull away for the 41-13 win.

Memphis sits at 8-0 now, as well as 4-0 in conference play, while Tulane drops to 2-6 and 1-4 respectively, needing to win out the rest of the season to attain bowl eligibility.

Temple and Notre Dame

In the marquee game of the week, 21st ranked Temple University played host the University of Notre Dame, the ninth ranked team in the nation.

The two teams battled back and forth all night, but a late touchdown by the Fighting Irish cemented the loss for the Owls.

Temple’s undefeated season ends thanks to Notre Dame, as they drop to 7-1 on the year, but maintain an unbeaten conference record at 4-0.

UConn and East Carolina

The University of Connecticut and East Carolina University entered their Friday game each looking to rebound from losses, but the Huskies found themselves snapping their 2-game skid.

The Huskies held the Pirates scoreless in the second and third quarter, while putting up 17 points of their own to propel themselves to a 31-13 win.

With the result, the teams now have identical records, each 4-5 overall and 2-3 in AAC play.

Cincinnati and UCF

The University of Cincinnati looked to continue their mid-season surge and secure their third win in four games, hosting the University of Central Florida.

Cincinnati put up 49 points in three quarters while holding the Knights scoreless, skating to an easy conference win.

The Bobcats improve to 2-2 in American Conference play and 5-3 overall, while UCF remains winless this season.

Navy and USF

The University of South Florida Bulls entered Saturday looking to continue their three-game winning streak, but ran into a tough team from the United States Naval Academy.

Navy secured the win thanks to two fourth-quarter rushing scores from quarterback Keenan Reynolds, tying him for the NCAA record with 77-career rushing touchdowns, helping to claim a victory, 29-17, over USF.

The Midshipmen continue to impress in their first season in the AAC, sitting at 6-1 overall and an undefeated 4-0 in conference, while the Bulls drop to 4-4 overall and 2-2 in AAC play.

SMU and Tulsa

The Tulsa University Golden Hurricanes traveled to Dallas to take on the Southern Methodist University Mustangs.

The two teams engaged in a shootout, but Tulsa came away with the win, 40-31, over the Mustangs.

Tulsa now sit at 4-4 overall, earning their first conference win of the season, while SMU remains winless in AAC play, at 0-4 and 1-7 overall.