Five things to look forward to this week

To start your Monday off right, here are a few of the events unfolding this week, including a haunted meal where Shasta is murdered, a lecture on the violence on the border and a Sales Career Fair where students will get to network with companies and get a chance to be potentially recruited.

Tuesday: Carbon Tax: Is It the Right Time?

Student Center South, Houston Room at 5:30 p.m.

This UH Energy Symposium Series event will feature guests speakers like President of Shell Oil Company Marvin Odum, expert economist Aparna Mathur, geologist and author Leighton Steward and energy and environmental attorney Bob Nordhaus. The event will be moderated by Dave Fehling of Houston Public Media. Any additional information can be provided by Sarah Jones at [email protected]

Tuesday: SPB Presents UH Clue

Student Center South, SC Ballroom at 6 p.m.

Come out with your friends and find out who done it in the Student Center Ballroom. Enjoy a meal while you try to figure out just who killed Shasta in the Student Center South Ballroom. The event is sponsored by the Center for Student Involvement. For any additional information, email [email protected].

Wednesday: Lecture by Cecilia Ballí

M.D. Anderson Library, Rockwell Pavilion at 1 p.m.

The Ph.D. writer and cultural anthropologist will speak on “Towards a New Theory of Masculinity & Violence on the US/ Mexico Borderlands.”

Ballí’s narrative journalism and personal essays have appeared in Texas Monthly and various anthologies on border life and culture. She previously served as assistant professor of anthropology at the University of Texas at Austin and has written extensively about border violence, including a dissertation about the systemic sexual assault and killing of poor women in Ciudad Juárez.

The lecture will be followed by responses by Christina Sisk, Maria Gonzalez & Sarah Luna. The UH Women’s, Gender & Sexuality Studies Program will host the event. For information contact [email protected] or call 713-743-3214.

Thursday: Composer Javier Álvarez, Music Across Borders

School of Music in Room 220 at 11:30 a.m.

Javier Álvarez is a Mexican composer who is characterized by his works that combine a variety of international musical styles and traditions that often utilize unusual instruments. He is known for composing music for Guillermo del Toro’s acclaimed 1993 horror film “Cronos.” The event is free for all students and any additional information can be provided by the Moores School of Music Box Office at 713-743-3388, or by email

Thursday: Program of Excellence in Selling: Sales Career Fair

Student Center South, Houston Room at 3 p.m.

PES Sales Career Fair allows students to gain real sales experience in that students are required to register participants and service their clients. The event is offered bi-annually and is a great way for companies to recruit sales people from the top sales program in the nation and network with students from UH, as well as other neighboring colleges. The event is sponsored by the Program for Excellence in Selling, and it is free for students. Any additional information can be provided by Saskya Gagneux at [email protected].