Activities & Organizations Campus International News

ISO to celebrate cultural diversity during International Education Week

In recognition of International Education Week, UH’s International Student Organization will make its presence known with various events hosted by different units on campus from Nov. 15 through Nov. 20.

ISO president and electrical engineering senior Fahad Mohammed said the organization will be  involved with the opening ceremony on Monday, Nov. 16 at noon.

“We have invited some of our performers from the International Fashion and Talent Show,” Fahad said. “I’m expecting something new from the same performers. It’s gonna be individual performances representing different parts of the world, mostly by singing.”

ISO director of marketing and economics senior Nazir Pandor said IEW introduces exciting new challenges.

“(The International Fashion and Talent Show was) a learning curve,” Pandor said. “This time we’re having a lot of guidance from the International Student and Scholar Services Office. They’ve had experience doing this over the past few years. We get to learn from them, be guided by them and then see how we can best fit, so the next time we are able to do it ourselves or, even better, to add more input.”

Fahad added said that, besides ISO, parties overlooking international students at UH will play their own part in forming and promoting different events throughout the week, including cultural showcases, themed lunches and introducing career opportunities abroad.

ISO vice president and industrial engineering sophomore Viviana Linares said she was most excited for the “Language Exchange” event on Wednesday, Nov. 18.

“I think there’s something really nice about us being from everywhere,” Linares said. “Part of that is us having our own language, which means a lot to each person. I’ve always wanted to learn German, so I hope I can find someone that will teach me a little bit (of) German.”

Fahad said IEW promotes the necessity of being a global citizen and helps shine a light on ISO and its affiliates.

“(Through IEW) we’ll get exposure from other organizations, and they’ll get to know that we are dealing with students more directly at a social level,” Fahad said. “Anybody who wants to get international students involved in anything, they’re more than welcome to come to us.”

Pandor said he thinks the impact of this year’s IEW will be felt far beyond campus grounds.

“(The Obama administration) takes international education very seriously,” Pandor said. “As long as the government wants to continue making it a priority, (IEW) will go on for quite some time. The University of Houston will be glad to keep on with the tradition.”

To search for or submit events celebrating IEW nationwide, check the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs’ website.

• This is an important program because being an
    international student isn’t easy, given our complex culture and language.
    Assistance must come from numerous sources to aid these young people embarking on life’s journey. A new award-winning worldwide book/ebook that helps anyone coming to the US is “What Foreigners Need To Know About America From A To Z: How to Understand Crazy American Culture, People, Government, Business, Language and More.” It is used in foreign Fulbright student programs and endorsed worldwide by ambassadors, educators, and editors. It also identifies “foreigners” who became successful in the US and how they contributed to our society, including students.

A chapter on education explains how to be
    accepted to an American university and cope with a confusing new culture,
    friendship process and daunting classroom differences. Some stay after
    graduation. It has chapters that explain how US businesses operate and how to
    get a job (which differs from most countries), a must for those who want to
    work with/for an American firm here or overseas.

It also has chapters that identify the most
    common English grammar and speech problems foreigners have and tips for easily
    overcoming them, the number one stumbling block they say they have to
    succeeding here.

Most struggle in their efforts and need guidance from schools’ international departments, immigration protection, host families, concerned neighbors and fellow
    students, and informative books like this to extend a cultural helping hand so
    we all have a win-win situation. Good luck to all wherever you study!