Football Sports Uncategorized

Cougars come from behind to take late win over Memphis

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_8436

Sophomore quarterback Kyle Postma, middle, came in before the end of the first half and piloted the Cougars to a comeback 35-34 win. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars hosted the University of Memphis Tigers in their biggest home game of the season on Saturday night, and came back from 20 points down to steal the 35-34 victory.

Houston preserved their perfect season and improved to 10-0 on the year, fueled by back-up sophomore quarterback Kyle Postma.

Despite the two team’s potent offenses, the game got off to a slow start in the first quarter.

Memphis put up the only points of the quarter in the first drive of the game, as they drove 49 yards, but had to settle for a field goal, putting them up 3-0.

The next score came in the opening minute of the second quarter, also belonging to the Tigers.

Quarterback Paxton Lynch found his tight end Allen Cross streaking down the sideline and connected with him for a 38-yard touchdown reception, extending the lead to 10-0.

Memphis again added onto their lead in the second quarter with a 10-play, 39-yard drive, which was capped off with another field goal.

The Tigers third scoring drive was also their third of over four minutes in the half.

Memphis added another score before the end of the half, going 72 yards in just three plays, capped off by a 61-yard catch and run from Lynch to his running back Dorland Dorceus for the touchdown, increasing the lead to 20-0.

The Cougars started the next drive with less than two minutes to go, and their chance of scoring took a hit when junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. went out with an injury after a sack.

Postma came in and led the Cougars to a score, finding sophomore receiver Linell Bonner for a 30-yard touchdown with 37 seconds left in the half.

After halftime, the Cougars received the kickoff, and, behind the arm and legs of Postma, drove 75 yards to pull within one possession of Memphis.

Senior running back Kenneth Farrow ended the drive with a seven-yard touchdown rush, pulling the Cougars closer at 20-14.

The Tigers responded in kind on the next drive, stringing together a 12-play drive which ended with a touchdown on a six-yard rush from running back Doroland Dorceus, increasing the lead to 27-14.

Memphis added to their lead with the first play of the fourth quarter, with Lynch flipping the ball to his receiver Tevin Jones on an option play, which he took 25 yards for the score.

With the touchdown, Memphis’ pushed the margin to 34-14, their eighth game of 30 or more points of the season.

The Cougars weren’t finished yet, however, as they came roaring back, driving 75 yards in just 1:55, where Farrow capped the drive again, with a 10-yard carry for the touchdown, pulling the Cougars within two scores at 34-21.

The Cougars used that spark to mount a bit of a comeback. The defense forced turnovers on the next two Memphis drives, the second of which the offense capitalized on for a touchdown.

UH drove deep into Memphis territory and sophomore running back Javin Webb finished the drive with a one-yard carry for the touchdown, making the score 34-28.

With just under five minutes left, the Cougars got the ball, down six points and looking to take their first lead of the game.

A strong effort from Postma, both scrambling and passing again, led the Cougars 77 yard in 2:33 second down into the red zone.

Postma even capped the drive, keeping the ball for the seven-yard touchdown scramble, putting the Cougars on top, 35-34.

Memphis took over possession with 1:21 and drove all the way down to the Houston 31-yard line, setting up for a field goal on fourth and five.

The 48-yard attempt had enough leg, but sailed wide right, as the Cougars took the comeback victory, 35-34.

Postma went 21-33 on the night for 236 yards and two scores, one passing and one rushing, while adding 49 yards on the ground.

Junior receiver Demarcus Ayers grabbed thirteen catches for 127 yards, and Bonner added five catches for 65 yards and one touchdown.

After the game, head coach Tom Herman said it was the heart of the team that carried them to the win.

“When you love somebody, it’s impossible to give up when things are kinda rough and looking kinda bleak,” Herman said. “But when you’re doing it for somebody that you love, and you know they love you back, it’s impossible to give up, and our guys showed that tonight.”

Herman also talked about having a sellout, the first in his term at UH, and the atmosphere inside of TDECU.

“What an unbelievable atmosphere tonight,” Herman said. “I want to publicly thank our students, not just for tonight, but each and every week, regardless of opponent, they’ve been out…For the city of Houston, the casual fan, I’m sure there were a lot of them tonight…we appreciate that tonight…the atmosphere there was truly a home field advantage.”

The Cougars now improve to 10-0 this year and 6-0 in the American Athletic Conference, and will now look forward to their next game, a road test against the University of Connecticut Huskies.

• postma should be our new starting QB…the defenses are now able to confine ward and take away his game…they have enough film on him to do that, and ward’s pocket passing game is not good enough to beat a good defense….

postma has that pocket passing game that ward will NEVER have….

start postma and we will win out and finish in the top 10.

also, come on over to the coog-it UH football forum and leave those annoying coogfan mods behind forever…