Commentary Football Sports

Memphis looks to redeem last year’s loss to Houston

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0107

Last season quarterback Greg Ward Jr. threw for 188 yards with a touchdown and rushed for 95 yards with a touchdown against Memphis. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Houston Cougars will take the field against the 8-1 University of Memphis Tigers at 6 p.m. at TDECU Stadium.

The Tigers are no strangers to the Cougars as the two teams have squared off in the past two seasons with Houston being the victor. Last year, however, Memphis was able to give a shaky Cougars team a scare as they almost took the victory.

Fast forward a year later and notice the changes that were made to Cougars and how they differ from last year’s counterparts.

Last year, a major component in the Cougars football team was who was at the helm of the program.

Former head coach Tony Levine led the Cougars as they sought their third win in six games of the season. That’s not the case this season as head coach Tom Herman succeeded in turning the program around on his first-year tenure as he leads a 9-0 football team.

Another factor is the progress junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. has made at the position.

Ward started last year’s game against the Tigers and recorded a total of 17 rushes for 95 yards against the Tigers’ defense.

Ward has has been exceptional at the position this season, surpassing former Cougar quarterback Case Keenum for the most rushing touchdowns in a season.

Just like there were changes for the Cougars, a different Tigers team is being showcased this season as well.

Until last week, the West division at the American Athletic Conference was dominated by two undefeated teams: Memphis and Houston.

While Houston proved they were a team to be taken seriously after defeating the University of Louisville Cardinals, Memphis shocked football fans weeks later when they defeated the University of Mississippi Rebels.

The Tigers were second to Houston with an unbeaten record; 4-0 in the American Conference with an 8-0 overall record until the Navy Midshipmen handed them their first loss.

Memphis will look to bounce back from last week’s loss, as well as try to avenge last year’s home loss to Houston.

• That’s great Ward can run, but still not considered an elite college QB…If Ward can put up some big numbers in the air vs Memphis. Himself and the Cougars will be taken more seriously when it comes to the playoff berth.