Commentary Football Sports

Questions leading up to UConn

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_8120

The Cougars hit the road for the final time this season when they face the UConn Huskies. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The No. 19 Cougars are set to face the University of Connecticut Huskies today. Head coach Tom Herman has described this game as a trap game because the Cougars are coming off of a close win over the No. 21 University of Memphis Tigers. In addition, the Huskies are a win away from becoming bowl eligible, and they’re also coming off a bye week.

Here are three questions that give us a better idea of what to expect against UConn.

Who will start at quarterback?

Starting quarterback Greg Ward Jr. rolled his ankle last week against Memphis. The injury sat him him out for the remainder of the game. Ward’s back up, sophomore quarterback Kyle Postma, stepped up and led the Cougars to a close win over the Tigers.

Earlier this week, Herman said Ward is still the starting quarterback and if he’s 100 percent he will play against the University of Connecticut.

“Is Greg Ward with a 70 percent ankle better than a Kyle Postma? We’ll have to make that decision, if that is the case, on Thursday or Friday,” Herman said. “We’ll find out where the diminishing returns to, where it is effecting (Ward’s) style and his ability, versus the negative repercussion of his ankle affecting us more than putting in Kyle, who doesn’t have nearly any experience.”

How good is UConn’s defense?

UConn ranks first in the AAC for passing yards given up at 187 yards per game and ranks first in interceptions with 15.

“It is really hard because once they read pass, they’re dropping out of there and only rushing three,” Herman said. “And it is really hard to find open receivers.”

Herman mentioned that UConn doesn’t have a lot of sacks on the year, but what they do have is a bunch of interceptions making it difficult to complete a pass against them.

It will be interesting to see exactly what the game plan is against the Huskies.

Expect the Cougars to unleash the rushing onslaught that is senior running back Kenneth Farrow, sophomore running back Javin Webb and a healthy Greg Ward Jr.

Can UH stay consistent?

With the regular season nearing an end, it’s hard to tell how much wear and tear the Cougars have endured up to this point.

Herman said at this point of the season he’ll tone the practices down from volume standpoint but will continue with the same intensity.

“The first couple weeks of the season, we might have been out there for two hours and a half and now where out there for two hours,” Herman said.”We’ll cut some minutes off of practice, but those minutes that we’re out, there will be full metal jacket ready.”

UConn is coming into the game well-rested after a bye week, and it might play a factor if the past couple of games have taken a toll on Houston.