Houston sails over Navy 52-31, captures AAC West division title

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1489

Junior receiver Demarcus Ayers had a dynamic afternoon for the Cougars, hauling in eight catches for 161 yards and a touchdown, while passing for a 29-yard touchdown. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

In its last home game of the season, UH played host to the United States Naval Academy inside TDECU Stadium and came away with a 52-31 victory.

The Cougars’ offense was running efficiently all game, and the defense picked up some key stops to secure the win.

The two teams got off to quick starts, with the Cougars striking first to open the game. UH took the opening kickoff and drove the length of the field, going 82 yards in 13 plays for the touchdown.

Junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. found his receiver, sophomore Steven Dunbar, in the back of the end zone for the five-yard score.

Navy responded with a six-play, 76-yard drive, capped off with a four-yard rush by fullback Chris Swain for the score, tying the game 7-7.

UH retook the lead on its next possession, another long drive at 13 plays. This time, junior corner back Brandon Wilson, who filled in at running back with senior Kenneth Farrow out, carried for 17 yards and the score, the first offensive touchdown of his career.

The Cougars went back on top, 14-7, with just a 1:21 left in the first quarter.

Navy was able to again tie the game with another quick six-play drive, which culminated with quarterback Keenan Reynolds finding his receiver Jamir Tillman wide-open for the 26-yard score.

The Cougars got the next two scores, pushing their lead to 24-14 before the half.

The second half started off well for the Cougars again, as senior safety Trevon Stewart forced an interception on the second play of Navy’s opening drive and the offense took the ball 46 yards in six plays for the score, extending the lead to 31-14.

The two teams traded scores on the next six drives, but the Midshipmen never could close the gap and the Cougars cemented the game with a touchdown in the final minute.

The Cougars upset the 15th-ranked Midshipmen with the 52-31 win in the home finale and clinched its first-ever West division title in the American Athletic Conference.

After the game, head coach Tom Herman praised his team and spoke of the motivation that fuels his team.

“Tremendous win for the program,” Herman said. “I’m really proud of our guys and how hard they played and that’s been something that has been evident since day one. These guys play hard, they play for each other and it’s a joy to watch these guys go play.”

Ward went 26-35 for 308 yards and three passing touchdowns, adding 83 yards on 14 carries on the ground and a rushing touchdown.

Junior receiver Demarcus Ayers hauled in eight catches for 161 yards and one touchdown, as well as a 29-yard passing touchdown.

Sophomore wide receiver Linell Bonner also added seven catches for 92 with two impressive touchdown grabs.

Wilson had a strong afternoon on the ground, picking up 111 yards on 22 carries for two scores.

The Cougars will host either Temple University or the University of South Florida next Saturday at TDECU Stadium for a shot at the AAC Conference title and a bid to a New Year’s 6 bowl game. Kick off for that game is slated for 11 a.m.

• out top athletes were just better than their top athletes–ayers, ward, wilson and bonner are just the bigger studs.

–posting at the Coog-It UH football forum