CFP Rankings: Cougars burst back into playoff ranking at 19th

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_8539

The Cougars moved up into 19th place in the College Football Playoff rankings after falling out the week before with a loss to the UConn Huskies. | File photo/The Cougar

In the latest College Football Playoff rankings, the Cougars found themselves among the top 25 again, ranked 19th, after a 52-31 win over the United States Naval Academy.

After dropping out of the rankings completely last week due to a loss to the University of Connecticut Huskies, the Cougars quickly redeemed themselves and were rewarded with a spot in the rankings again.

The top five spots of the rankings remain unchanged, with Clemson University sitting in first place.

The University of Alabama, the University of Oklahoma and the University of Iowa round out the top four spots in the rankings, with Michigan State University the first team on the outside.

Despite big wins, The Ohio State University and Stanford University each only moved up two spots, but they remained outside the top four spots.

The United States Naval Academy experienced the biggest drop in this week’s rankings, down eight spots from 15th to 23rd after their loss to UH.

Inversely, Texas Christian University had the biggest jump, also moving eight spots up into 11th place after a double-overtime win against Baylor University.

The American Athletic Conference has three teams in the rankings, with UH the highest, followed by Temple University at 22nd and Navy at 23rd.

The Cougars have a chance to improve their ranking when they host Temple this Saturday for the American Athletic Conference Championship game inside TDECU Stadium at 11 a.m., with a likely berth in a New Year’s 6 bowl going to the victor.