Commentary Football Sports

Five things to look for ahead of AAC Championship

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_9203

Houston is seeking its first conference championship since its 2006 Conference USA Championship. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Houston Cougars seek their 11th conference championship against the Temple University Owls at TDECU Stadium.

With the stage set, there are a few things fans cannot afford to miss.

The Cougars will play with intensity

Houston and Temple will have a shot of winning their first American Athletic Conference Championship. But the Cougars have more to lose if they were to fall to the Owls.

With a victory against Temple, Houston could probably head to either the Fiesta or Peach Bowl.

Fan support will come in full force

In the last two games, home field advantage was in full force as fans cheered on their Cougars toward victory.

With a game of this magnitude expect the stadium to be a sea of red.

Coach Herman will demand perfection from his team

Coach Tom Herman was named the AAC co-coach of the year Wednesday, and with the territory comes the demand of wanting perfection out of his squad.

The Cougars face a team that dominated the University of Connecticut Huskies, a team that Houston struggled with and which handed the Cougars their only loss of the season.

Herman knows the storm that is brewing as the championship approaches and will do anything possible to make sure Houston comes out victorious.

The threat that is known as Greg Ward Jr.

Against the United States Naval Academy Midshipmen, junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr. put on a show. Ward demonstrated his skills as he threw to junior wide receiver Demarcus Ayers from the Houston 38-yard line, for a 62-yard touchdown.

Despite being sidelined against UConn because of an ankle injury, the junior showed that he wasn’t afraid to scramble to keep the play alive.

National Notoriety at TDECU Stadium

As the season progressed, the Cougars gained national attention when they reached the AP Top 25 Rankings and even the College Football Playoff Rankings.

Now with two playoff-ranked teams playing in a conference championship, more media eyes will be on Houston as it shows it deserves to be in consideration for future playoff contingency.