Republican candidates take on international issues

Students gathered in the Student Center South to watch the 2016 Republican Presidential Debate live. | Photo by Pablo Milanese.

Students gathered on the steps of the Student Center South, reacting strongly to the candidates’ opinions on international issues. | Pablo Milanese/The Cougar

GOOGLE SPIN ROOM — Candidates took on foreign policy over an hour into the debate.

Israel

Ohio Gov. John Kasich followed businessman Donald Trump’s statement that he is “totally pro-Israel.”

“I’ve been standing with the Israelis for as very long time,” Kasich said. “Our allies are not sure what to make of our enemies.”

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz made the move on Trump, comparing him to their Democratic counterparts.

“This is another area where Donald agrees with Hillary Clinton,” Cruz said. “When I’m president, America will stand unapologetically by Israel.”

North Korea

Kasich said he wants tougher sanctions on North Korea and to arm South Korea with ballistic missile technology.

“There’s so much chaos in North Korea right now. We’ve been kicking the can down the road on this for 15 years,” Kasich said. “I’ve put it on the table that I’d love to see a regime change in North Korea.”

Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, who made sure to point out his lack of time talking, said the U.S. should look to an alliance with France and fortify the Navy to address North Korea.

“Kim Jung-Un is an unstable person, but he does understand strength,” Carson said. “He needs to make sure he knows that if he ever shoots a missile at us, it’ll be the last thing he does.”

Russia

Moderators turned to Russia and its increasing hold in the Middle East.

“If we nominate someone who stands with (Democrats) on foreign policy, we’re not going to win the election,” Cruz said.