Five things to look forward to this week

University president Renu Khator will deliver a speech Thursday in honor of the members of the UH community who have passed away in 2012. | Courtesy of UH.edu

The University Chapel will house an event to remember those we lost in the UH community this past year. | Courtesy of uh.edu

To start off your Monday morning right, here are a few events circulating campus this week, including a book signing from motivational speaker Niya Brown Matthews, a chance to donate clean drinking water to Flint, Michigan and a day to remember those we lost in the UH community.

Tuesday: Day of Remembrance

University Chapel

12 to 1 p.m.

This event is set aside to honor the students, alumni, faculty, staff and other members of the UH community who died in 2015. The service is open to the entire community.

This interfaith ceremony is coordinated by the Campus Ministries Association and will feature varied liturgy from several campus ministers, a time for reflection and a reception to follow the program.

Tuesday: Niya Brown Matthews book signing

Barnes & Noble Book Store

3:30 to 5 p.m.

Niya Brown Matthews is a two-time cancer survivor who wrote an empowering new book titled “The Boss in You.”

The critically-acclaimed author is also a speaker and wife of retired Super Bowl champion Eric Matthews. She wrote the book to empower others, especially young girls and women, to overcome their life obstacles and challenges they encounter in order to become successful in life, love and their careers.

She will talk about being a successful entrepreneur, overcoming cancer twice and being the mother of a teen daughter who was bullied.

Wednesday: Registered Dietitian Awareness Day

Campus Recreation and Wellness Center

11 to 1 p.m.

March 9 is Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist Day and the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center will be celebrating by having registered dietitians speak about their experiences in the career of an RD. They’ll also be giving out information handouts about the career of an RD.

Students and UH community will have an opportunity to play a game that highlights the new 2015 Dietary Guidelines.

Wednesday: Diversity Workshop: Power and Privilege

Student Center South Bayou City

12 to 1:30 p.m.

This workshop will explore dynamics of power and privilege, their effects on others and society and ways we can change our behavior in becoming better allies to eliminate barriers.

The event is free for all the community.

Friday: Flint, Michigan Water Drive

Lot 12A, between Calhoun Lofts and TDECU Stadium

7:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Students, faculty, staff and members of the public are invited to donate bottled water for transportation to the community of Flint, Mich.

The Flint water crisis is a drinking water contamination crisis that started in April 2014. After Flint changed its water source from treated Detroit Water and Sewerage Department water to the Flint River— which Flint officials had failed to apply corrosion control treatment— its water had a series of problems that culminated with lead contamination.

Donations must be whole cases of 24 bottles of 16.9 oz. water, and volunteers will be on hand to assist and unload donations from your car. No monetary donations will be accepted. The delivery will be facilitated by the Houston Food Bank.

• The Flint, Michigan Water Drive will take place in Lot 12A between Cougar Place and TDECU Stadium (not Calhoun Lofts as stated in the article).