Faculty & Staff News

VP recognized for efforts dedicated to student success

maxwell2

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Dan Maxwell joined the Honors College Society of Fellows as well as the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators AVP Steering Committee this month. | Courtesy of DSAES

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Dan Maxwell joined the Honors College Society of Fellows as well as the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators AVP Steering Committee this month.

Maxwell will serve the University locally and nationally in these roles by providing guidance to undergraduate students while serving as an Honors College ambassador and shaping the development of NASPA’s AVP initiatives.

“Both the Society of Fellows and the AVP Steering Committee focus on creating environments where individuals can learn, thrive and contribute,” Maxwell said. “I am excited to contribute to both endeavors.”

Honors College dean William Monroe said that Maxwell has been working with the Honors College since his first day on campus.

“I am very honored (by) the recognition from the Honors College,” Maxwell said. “I was humbled to receive Dean Monroe’s invitation to join the Society of Fellows which, in many ways, codifies my on-going commitment to support the work of the Honors College and solidify the partnership between them and Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services.”

For Maxwell and his colleagues, the invitation to become an Honors Fellow seemed like a natural progression of his work with the college.

“It’s exciting to have collaboration between academics and student affairs, and it’s more important than ever,” Monroe said. “The Society of Fellows is a way to encourage and organize joint programming that encourages student success.”

Student success is the backbone of Maxwell’s work. As an associate vice president, Maxwell strives to create and foster inclusive and supportive learning communities, gaining a skill set that will contribute to his work with NASPA’s steering committee.

“I am honored to serve my professional association,” Maxwell said. “I hope that my contribution to the work of the AVP Steering Committee provides resources to individuals who also serve as an assistant or associate vice president. It’s a great way to give back to my profession.”

Vice President for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services Richard Walker said that local and national level participation is highly encouraged throughout the Division of Student Affairs and that the department was pleased to recognize Maxwell for his involvement and contributions.

Ultimately, student success is the backbone of Maxwell’s work.

“One of my key roles is to establish collaborative relationships across the campus at UH,” Maxwell said. “Through these relationships, I strongly believe we role model the many ways to build campus community and create a community that supports, engages, and challenges students, faculty and staff to be the best that they can be and to contribute to making UH an outstanding university.”