Baseball Sports

Baseball drops game against 1st-ranked Aggies, 7-2

WEB-Robyn-Archer-DSC_0055

The Cougars’ offense managed just two runs against the 1st-ranked Texas A&M Aggies. | Robyn Archer/The Cougar

The No. 15-ranked baseball team welcomed the No. 1-ranked Texas A&M Aggies to Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park Tuesday night.

The game was the first matchup against a top-ranked team since the 2010 season for the Cougars.

Junior left-handed pitcher John King made the start in front of a sellout crowd at Schroeder Park. King entered the game with a 3-1 record and 3.86 ERA.

Opposite of King, the Aggies handed the ball to their sophomore right-hander Corbin Martin who attempted to capture win number two on the season and lower his 6.32 ERA.

Two errors made by the Cougars allowed A&M to grab a quick 2-0 lead. Junior outfielder Nick Banks gave his team a 4-0 after hitting his third home run of the year to left field in the first inning.

The Cougars got on the board in the second inning by way of A&M mishaps. First, a wild pitch allowed senior Justin Montemayor to come home, and then an error on Martin allowed Corey Julks to score.

After two innings of play, the Aggies led 4-2. The Aggies extended their lead to 5-2 in the fifth inning when Ryne Birk shot a single into left field that scored his teammate Austin Homan.

Right-handed pitcher Bubba Maxwell replaced King for the sixth inning. King left the game after a solid performance of five innings, four runs (zero earned) and four strikeouts.

The Cougars efforts’ were not enough, as they eventually fell to the Aggies 7-2.

Next up for the Cougars is the No. 19 East Carolina Pirates for a three game road series over the weekend.