Election update: pandemonium among candidates

Embed from Getty Images

As if things couldn’t get more heated, the feud between presidential candidates has only gotten worse. From Donald Trump’s campaign manager being charged with simple battery to Trump going after Ted Cruz’s wife, this campaign just keeps getting more and more insane.

I. Trump’s campaign manager charged with simple battery.

Contributing to the pattern of violence in Trump’s campaign, his campaign manager Corey Lewandowski allegedly assaulted a female reporter. In this video, Lewandowski is seen grabbing the arm of the reporter who claims Lewandowski bruised her arm and caused her to almost fall to the ground. Before the video came out, Lewandowski claimed he never touched her, but the video shows otherwise. Trump also claimed that she grabbed his arm, which he implied was not something she was supposed to do. He also said she had a pen in her hand, and questions whether it was actually a pen and not a knife. Trump’s opponents have come out against him regarding the incident, saying they would have immediately fired Lewandowski had he been working for them.

II. Real Housewives-like brawl between Cruz and Trump.

A while back, an anti-Trump Super PAC sent out a semi-nude photo of Trump’s wife with the caption “Meet Melania Trump. Your New First Lady. Or you could support Ted Cruz on Tuesday.” Trump then accused Ted Cruz of sending out the photo, threatening to “spill the beans” on Cruz’s wife, Heidi. He then retweeted an unflattering picture of Heidi Cruz implying that Melania is much prettier. Then the National Enquirer ran a story stating that Ted Cruz allegedly had multiple affairs with multiple women. Cruz then accused Trump of planting the story. This back and forth all happened in the span of a week, and Trump’s reaction when asked about the feud during Tuesday night’s town hall was “(Cruz) started it. I didn’t start it.” Which Anderson Cooper rightly called him out for, saying he was using the “He started it” argument like a 5-year-old would.

III. Bernie Sanders sweeps Alaska, Hawaii and Washington.

Sanders swept last weekend’s caucuses, winning by large margins in each state. Wisconsin is the next contest, and his wins are showing that a momentum has been building, as he now has a lead in the state polls over Hillary Clinton. Mathematically, Sanders still needs to win by wide margins in the remaining states, which will prove difficult. Then there’s the problem of the superdelegates, most of which have already pledged support for Clinton. They technically can still switch over to Sanders, but many of them are still supporting Clinton even though their home states may have voted for Sanders. The Democratic race is proving to be more competitive than people previously thought.

Opinion editor Anthony Torres is a political science junior and may be reached at [email protected]

• “He started it.” Oh, yes, they great fall-back excuse — as if these embarrassing imbeciles running for President are not already emotionally dysfunctional. All they know how to do is point fingers, criticize, and cast blame. Not one of them has a clue about how to be a true statesmen, something our international allies and enemies have noticed with a mixture of mortification and glee.