Football to host Student Appreciation Practice on Friday

WEB-3237

The Cougars play host to the second-annual Student Appreciation Practice on Friday inside TDECU Stadium. | File photo/The Cougar

With spring practices well under way, the football team is preparing to host the second-annual Student Appreciation Practice on Friday afternoon inside TDECU Stadium.

After debuting last season under first-year head coach Tom Herman, the Student Appreciation Practice is making its return, offering students a chance to get on the field with the players and coaching staff.

“Our students are the lifeblood of our University and our program, and we play for them,” head coach Tom Herman said in a news release. “Every game we knew we would come out of the tunnel to a student section filled to capacity, and this practice is just a small token of our appreciation for the energy they bring to every game at TDECU Stadium.”

As part of the event, students will have the opportunity to race for the title of Fastest Student, with the winner having a chance to travel to an away game next season with the team. Herman said in an email to students that the winner can choose between the Texas State game on Sept. 24 and the SMU game on Oct. 22.

Preliminaries for the Fastest Student competition will be held at 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Butler Plaza. The eight fastest students will compete after the practice on Friday, with the winner from that group racing against a member of the football team to win the travel package.

Additionally, students attending the practice have a chance to stretch with the players, field punts, attempt field goals and spend time shadowing the coaches on the sidelines.

The gates open for the practice at 4:15 p.m. on Friday inside TDECU Stadium.