Softball Sports

Softball returns home for double header against Baylor

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4452

The Cougars were outscored 22-9 in three games against the Arizona Wildcats. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars return home for a double header on Tuesday against the Baylor University Bears after being swept in their weekend series.

In a big road matchup against the No. 17 University of Arizona Wildcats, the Cougars found themselves outmatched as they dropped the series, losing all three games.

The Cougars came out swinging against the Wildcats in the first game, taking a two-run lead in the top of the third inning thanks to a two-RBI single from freshman Elise LeBeouf. The Wildcats answered back with one run in the bottom half of the frame to cut the lead in half.

Three runs put up by Arizona in the bottom of the fifth created a lead Houston couldn’t overcome, despite a late rally attempt.

The Cougars were run-ruled in five innings in the second game of the series, as the Wildcat bats came alive for 11 runs in five innings, including six in the first two frames.

The series wrapped with a 7-4 loss in the rubber match, where Arizona again benefitted from a big inning, a six-run third inning, to build a lead it could hold for the rest of the game.

Following the series, the Cougars now sit with an 18-21 overall record and will host the Bears for a pair of games on Tuesday afternoon.  First pitch in the front half of the double header is set for 4 p.m., with the split wrapping up at 6 p.m. pitch in the second game.