Activities & Organizations Campus News

Suicide prevention event raises awareness with food fundraiser

taco

Triangle Fraternity will hold its Taco Tuesday themed event to raise funds for AFSP. | Courtesy of Triangle Fraternity

Triangle Fraternity, a social group for students in engineering, architecture and science, is hosting a fundraising event on Tuesday for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention’s Out of the Darkness Walk.

The event starts at 9 p.m. and will be “Taco Tuesday” themed. Attendees can buy tickets at the door for $5, and there will be a guest speaker as well as door prizes. The event will be held at Triangle House, Bayou Oaks Townhouse 13.

“The purpose of this event is to promote awareness for the Out of the Darkness Walk and raise funds for the AFSP,” event coordinator and Triangle member Robert Pennington said.

The Out of the Darkness Walk will be held April 16 from 9 a.m. until noon at Lynn Eusan Park, and students are encouraged to register to participate in the walk online on AFSP’s website.

This walk has already raised over $5,000 with a goal is $25,000. Students can donate to the organization until June 30.

Triangle’s personal fundraising goal for Tuesday is $300. They hope to achieve this by selling tacos 2 for $5 and donating all proceeds made to the AFSP.

The Out of the Darkness walk events began in 2010, and Triangle has been involved by taking a leading role in the walk every year since, said Kathy Zerda, a retired UH engineering professor and board member of the Southeast Texas chapter.

Zerda will be a guest speaker at this event and said she has personal ties with Triangle because she used to be its unofficial mentor.

“Suicide is a leading cause of death among the college-aged demographic,” Zerda said.
“I wanted to raise awareness about suicide prevention on campus and educate students on how to find mental resources and also to reduce the stigma associated with mental health issues.”

According to AFSP, the walks help promote awareness for the AFSP, and the funds raised allow the organization to “invest in new research, create educational programs, advocate for public policy and support survivors of suicide loss.”

“One in 10 college students have thoughts about suicide and even more struggle with depression,” Daniel Diehl, president of Triangle Fraternity said. “We need to bring awareness to these mental disorders—and how common they are—so those affected will understand that there are people who share similar experiences and want to help them through this difficult point in their life.”

• —-reduce the stigma associated with mental health issues

“Reduce”??! Remove it from your paper.

Who knows, doing so may even save a life.