Internationally-renowned artist eL Seed to complete mural Friday

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_6018

eL Seed mixes contemporary graffiti with historic Arabic text in his paintings. His artwork has been commissioned on buildings throughout the world. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

If you have walked by the Graduate College of Social Work recently, you may have noticed heaps of spray paint cans and a massive mural slowly spreading over the side of the building. This is because French-Tunisian “calligraffiti” artist eL Seed is painting a mural on the building for the CounterCurrent Festival this week.

Students and the UH community is encouraged to stop by Friday to witness the completion of the piece starting at 11 a.m.

eL Seed will speak, free food will be provided, a DJ will be present and student volunteers will put on a performance.

“(The performance that will be showcased Friday) involves (a group of 20 student) volunteers standing and holding certain positions as part of a human sculpture,” event coordinator and chemistry sophomore Sarah Zeidat said. “The poses and formations will be inspired by the themes of eL Seed’s piece.”

According to his website, eL Seed “(works) primarily with subjects that seem contradictory… (and his) art reflects the reality of mankind and the world we live in today.”

eL Seed mixes contemporary graffiti with historic Arabic text in his paintings. His artwork has been commissioned on various buildings throughout the world.

“Writing messages is the essence of my artwork,” eL Seed said in a news release. “Even Arabic-speaking people really need to focus a lot to decipher what I’m writing. You don’t need to know the meaning to feel the piece. I think that Arabic script touches your soul before it reaches your eyes. There is a beauty in it that you don’t need to translate.”

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_6023

eL Seed’s mural will be completed Friday. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Once eL Seed’s mural is completed, it will be displayed at UH for the next two years as part of the Mitchell Center’s INTERSECTIONS, where the goal is to create a connection between artists, Muslims and non-Muslims.

“It’s an exciting time for our very diverse campus and in a day and age where racism, Islamophobia and prejudice are at what feels like an all time high,” political science junior Shifa Abuzaid said. “This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and who knows where eL Seed will be headed next?”

• If one wishes to speak of fear or “phobia”, one should address Candorphobia– the fear of and revulsion toward perfectly legitimate criticisms of Islamo-supremacists.

Secular Muslims (interested in reform) are left unsupported precisely because most Leftists fear being accused (falsely) of hate-mongering by sharia enablers, more than they’re haunted for branding themselves as moral cowards over abandoning the defense of human rights.

Muslims in America may be the very soul of moderation. But I don’t think it’s unreasonable for folks to ask for more from (allegedly) “peaceful” Muslims than disingenuous whitewashing of uncomfortable elements of Islamic sharia tradition, as practiced by the San Bernardino shooters.

A genuine tiny minority of anti-sharia Muslims may be found at the Institution for Secularization of Islamic Society (ISIS) http://www.centerforinquiry.net/isis/

Americans remain breathless in anticipation of the vast majority of (allegedly) “peaceful” Muslims supporting this genuinely tiny minority of their co-religionists… but don’t hold your breath. Be wary of anyone who puts terrorists’ interests ahead of those of western civilization. Sharia enablers are determined to fight the Muslim Brotherhood’s enemies to the last infidel.

See also, “Unholy Alliance: Radical Islam and the American Left”

[Graduate Library Stacks: HN90.R3 H583 2004]

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1405306114l/71105.jpg

• Your observations are part of the standard Islamaphobic nonsense which typically uses untenable pseudo-intellectual BS to make it’s case. However, given that I’m also working on a paper which discusses how generally ignorant Americans are regarding the Middle East for an advance level class on the Modern Middle East, I will be using your rather misguided ideas (among many other examples,) to demonstrate just how misguided those notions are. eL Seed is actually considered an excellent artist globally and a promoter of peace — the precise opposite of what your comments imply with its inherent stereotypical characterizations of Muslims as terrorists.

• ^candorphobic tantrum

Leftist sharia enablers don’t confront real evil; and hate those who do. You can see this on almost any school playground. The kid who confronts the school bully is often resented more than the bully. Whether out of guilt over their own cowardice or out of fear that the one who confronted the bully will provoke the bully to lash out more, those who refuse to confront the bully often resent the one who does.

Today, Leftists in wacademia express their cowardly contempt for those of us who take a hard line with Islamo-supremacists. It’s ever our fault for provoking these bullies. Better to remain supine while the sharia law advocates satisfy themselves raising money for terrorists; tormenting American widows and orphans at Ground Zero; grooming girls for gang rape in occupied Eurabia.

The Leftist answer: Just attack patriotic Americans as “misguided, ignorant, racist, fascist, Islamofauxbic, xenophobic, neanderthal, bigoted” (the whole Star Wars cantina of Leftists’ boogeymen)… and hope the crocs eat them last.

There’s a word for that: Craven. Own it, taqiyya parrot.