Baseball Sports

UPDATE: Cougars midweek game moved to Wednesday

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4530 (1)

The Cougars’ pitching has been a bright spot during a recent skid. | File photo/The Cougar

Despite heavy rainstorms in the city, the Cougars are game against the Texas A&M University—Corpus Christi Islanders has been moved to Wednesday night.

The Cougars return home for a five game home stand after four games on the road, where they went 1-3, suffering a sweep at the hands of the conference rival University of Connecticut Huskies.

The team now has a 20-15 record on the season, including a 3-6 record in the American Athletic Conference.

Despite recent struggles, the Cougars’ pitching staff is still posting strong numbers. Junior pitcher Andrew Lantrip and sophomore pitcher Seth Romero head the weekend rotation, holding ERAs of 1.99 and 2.05, respectively.

Both pitchers have four wins on the season, but have also combined for seven losses.

Freshman pitcher Mitch Ullom has been a stud for the staff in just his first season, with a 5-2 record on the year and a 2.80 ERA.

Redshirt senior Michael Pyeatt and freshman Joe Davis are the offensive leaders for UH, hitting .339 and .338, respectively, and Pyeatt enters Tuesday with a nine-game hit streak.

Davis is the offensive leader for the Cougars in a number of statistical categories, including seven home runs and 10 doubles.

The game will now be be played on Wednesday, with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. at Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park, weather permitting.