City News

Weekend highlighted by live music, Pride

It’s scorching out there – thinking about the numbers alone could make someone sweat. Avoid the punishing sun whenever possible, but don’t give the same treatment to these five events that will fire up your weekend.

Castle of Dreams: A Studio Ghibli Tribute Art Show

Animator Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli have mesmerized countless viewers with their worlds, all of which are hand-drawn and full of heart. See fans show their love for Japan’s animation powerhouse with cosplays and artworks at the Texas Art Asylum (1719 Live Oak St., Unit L). The event will span over two days – Saturday from 3 to 9 p.m. and Sunday from 2 to 5 p.m. – and there is a $2 per person, cash only, cover charge. Kids five and under are free. All proceeds will benefit The Center for Recycled Art.

An Intimate Evening with Citizen Cope

A bit of blues, touch of soul, tinge of folk and dose of rock unite when Citizen Cope helps listeners drift into the night with his solo acoustic performance. If this sounds like an ideal way to end the day, by 7 p.m. Saturday get down to the House of Blues with ticket(s) in hand.

Houston Pride Festival and Parade

Show your colors or display that you are an ally at the 38th Houston LGBT Pride Celebration with excitement. Around – and maybe more than – 700,000 people will be in attendance, so be at Houston City Hall by noon Saturday to fully enjoy the festivities. The Parade will start moving at 8:30 p.m., beginning at Milam and Walker streets. Both events are free. Tickets are needed for festival’s VIP area.

Waterway Nights

Presented by Texas Children’s Hospital, the event courts joy and smiles with live music, children’s activities, strolling entertainers and, yes, a fireworks show. From 7 to 9 p.m. this Saturday, the 6-member progressive country band Sawdust Road will bring the tunes. The event is free for all attendees!

To the Cinema

Summer movie season is now in full force. Besides the hits like The Conjuring 2 or Finding Dory, four new films will land in theaters this weekend, chief among them the long-in-development sequel of a patriotic sci-fi fare, Independence Day: Resurgence.