Cougars dominate on ground in second week

web-justin-cross-0093

Senior quarterback Kyle Postma was one of three rushers who had over 100 yards against the Cardinals. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The Cougars defeated the Lamar University Cardinals 42-0 Saturday on the legs of junior quarterback Kyle Postma, redshirt freshman running back Kevrin Justice and freshman running back Mulbah Car.

Postma started in place of senior quarterback Greg Ward Jr., who was nursing a shoulder injury. Through the air, Postma finished with 125 yards on 14-of-25 attempts and one interception. He was also one the top rushers on the team, gaining 106 yards on seven carries with two touchdowns.

Postma said that the Cougars hadn’t planned on starting him, but when he got the nod he wanted to help the team win.

“None of that was really planned,” Postma said. “Coming into the game, I was going to do everything I could that was going to help the team out.”

Joining him in the backfield were Justice and Car, who both had career games. Justice started in place of sophomore running back Duke Catalon, who was suffering an ankle injury.

Justice had 27 carries for 111 yards and two touchdowns.

Although Justice got the start, the Cougars went with a committee approach and often substituted in Car, who had 20 carries for 109 yards.

After the game, Justice said he felt good about getting 27 carries because it allowed him the opportunity to show what he could do on the field. He also had nothing but praise for his offensive line.

“I feel good getting a chance to show the coaches and the team what I can do,” Justice said. “I have to give props to the offensive line, because they busted their butts today, and all the receivers blocking downfield. They made great plays and great blocks.”

Even with the productivity of both backs on Saturday, head coach Tom Herman said he still isn’t certain which guy will step up and become Catalon’s backup.

“It’s tough to tell because of the circumstances of the game,” Herman said. “I had a positive mind frame going into tomorrow’s preparation that when Duke does need a spell, that we’re going to be serviceable. Hopefully one of those guys will separate. But for now, both of them will tag team that second-team tailback spot.”

Postma, Justice and Car combined for 54 rushes, totaling 326 yards and five of the six touchdowns for the Cougars. All three rushed for more than 100 yards, marking just the third time in Houston history that the Cougars have accomplished such a feat. The last time that happened was Oct. 25, 1974 against Cincinnati.

The Cougar offense finished with 511 yards on 97 plays, 381 of which came on the ground. They averaged 5.4 yards per carry and only allowed four tackles for a loss. They possessed the ball for almost two-thirds of the game and committed no turnovers.

“I’m proud of them,” Herman said. “We were without arguably our two best offensive players.”