AP Poll: Football remains stagnant in week five

bu8f3855

Cougar fans have reason to be excited after their team is off to a 4-0 start for the second consecutive season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Even after a 64-3 win at Texas State University on Saturday, football saw no movement in the AP Top 25 Poll for the fourth consecutive week. With the top seven teams all winning their respective games, there was little opportunity for jockeying within the rankings.

The Cougars hold tight at No. 6 in the AP rankings, but are 28 points behind the No. 5 Clemson University Tigers. There is little room for error in the early portions of the season, as the top 11 teams all have undefeated records.

A future Cougar opponent, the University of Louisville Cardinals, remains at No. 3 in the country. As it currently stands, the Cardinals are the only remaining ranked opponent on the Cougars’ schedule.

After week four, two new teams were added to the rankings while two formerly ranked teams dropped out.

The University of Oklahoma is no longer ranked; its team, the Sooners, did not play a game over the weekend. The 45-24 loss to the Ohio State University on Sept. 17 left the Sooners with two losses on the season and inevitably led to their fall from the Top 25 in week four.

The Louisiana State University Tigers’ last-second loss, this time to the Auburn University Tigers, led to its drop from the poll and the firing of head coach Les Miles.

The Boise State University Broncos’ 3-0 start to the season has earned them a spot in the Top 25 for the first time this season at No. 24. Also joining the rankings is the Texas Christian University Horned Frogs at No. 21.

The state of Texas now has five ranked teams with UH, Texas A&M University, Baylor University, TCU and the University of Texas.

The Cougars next opportunity for movement is Thursday night, when they take on the University of Connecticut Huskies at TDECU Stadium.

Head coach Tom Herman said the game will be the fourth game in 19 days for the Cougars.