Take Back The Night, Family Weekend round up week’s events

Take Back The Night walks are held nationwide to increase awareness about the risk of sexual harassment women face on college campuses. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Take Back The Night walks are held nationwide to increase awareness about the risk of sexual harassment that women face on college campuses. | Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Fall is here and so are this week’s most riveting events.

The roundup of planner-worthy occasions includes an informative sex education lecture, the annual anti-sexual violence event, Take Back The Night, a Law Center info session, Undergraduate Research Day, and the University’s Family Weekend.

Tuesday: “Let’s Get SexED!” with Allison Moon and Reid Mihalko

Student Center South, Theater 103

6:30 – 8:30 p.m.

Sponsored by the LGBTQ Resource Center, the Center for Diversity and Inclusion and the Council of Ethnic Organizations, “Let’s Get SexED!” aims to help students develop positive sexual identities. With sex and relationship experts Allison Moon and Reid Mihalko, the talk is open to all students of any orientation in a celebration of National Coming Out Day.

Wednesday: Take Back The Night

Lynn Eusan Park

6 – 8:30 p.m.

To increase national awareness of rape, sexual assault and sexual harassment on college campuses, the Women and Gender Resource Center hosts their annual rally/march. In an evening of campus and community resource tabling, participants will hear talks by guest speakers, including sexual assault survivors. There will also be a candlelight vigil for sexual trauma victims.

University of Houston Law Center Admissions’ Online Information Session

Online Session

11 a.m. – noon

Designed to give prospective law students an overview of the admissions process and the UH Law Center J.D. program, potential applicants will have the opportunity to ask questions in real time. The session is the same presentation used for the Law Center’s on-campus information sessions. Students may RSVP online by calling (713) 743-2280.

Thursday: Undergraduate Research Day

Rockwell Pavilion, M.D. Anderson Library and Honors College

4 – 6 p.m.

At the Office of Undergraduate Research’s annual event, over 200 undergrads present posters and oral projects, many representing the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program. Attendees are encouraged to view the posters and listen to students’ oral presentations. Outstanding poster awards will be given to students by faculty from varying disciplines.

Friday: Family Weekend

Check-in will be at the Student Center South and Houston Ballroom ticket office.

9 a.m. – 2 p.m.

During the University’s annual Family Weekend, all parents and family members are encouraged to attend and experience their student’s college life. Alongside various academic, social, athletic and cultural events, there will be a Family Tailgate Celebration and Friday Night Family Picnic with a traditional Texas barbecue.

• Whites … taking back the night? Technically this is racism … because we all know that Black Thugs rule the night. Especially in Chiraq.