Soccer tries to finish season strong at home

uhwomensoccer-2

After transferring from Arizona a year ago, sophomore Rachel Estopare has quickly become one of the top goal keepers in the conference. | Ajani Stewart/The Cougar

The soccer team enters the season’s cooling-down period with a match against the Tulsa University Golden Hurricane on Thursday at Carl Lewis Complex.

In what has been a complete turnaround from a year ago, the team finds themselves 6-4-3 overall record and 1-3-2 in conference play. Soccer will try to advance in the standings before the American Athletic Conference Tournament begins on Nov. 2.

Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Estopare has emerged on the scene as one of the top players in the conference at her position.

Estopare is at the top of the conference ranks in save percentage (.898) and goals against average (.61).

With the help of freshman Nicole Young, who replaced Estopare while she recovered from a concussion, the two have combined to shutout opponents seven times this season.

The Cougars look to continue their offensive hot streak as the team has accumulated 18 goals in their 13 games this season. The team has benefited from goals from five different players paced by sophomore Desiree Bowen.

Bowen leads all Cougar scorers with six goals scored on 14 shots on the goal. Junior Selena Peter’s aggressive play style has earned her four goals and tied for the team lead with four assists.

Soccer will need both Bowen and Peters to continue their offensive output to beat the Golden Hurricane.

Overall, the two teams have played each other closely in recent history. Tulsa leads the all-time series with a record of 4-3-3. This will be the first meeting between the squads since Oct. 4, 2015, when Tulsa shutout the Cougars 1-0.

Tulsa travels to Houston after losing to the Memphis Tigers 4-0 over the weekend. First kick is scheduled for 7 p.m.