Soccer Sports

Cougars finish much-improved regular season with loss

The team will wrap up the 2016 regular season with a home game against SMU on Thursday at Carl Lewis Field. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The soccer team finishes their season at 6-7-3 compared to 4-13 from a year ago. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The soccer team wrapped up the 2016 regular season with a 3-1 loss to conference power Southern Methodist University in Carl Lewis Field Thursday.

After finishing 4-13 a year ago, the defeat rounds out the season at a much-improved record of 6-7-3. Despite the loss, soccer fared well at home, going 4-5 over the course of the year.

In the loss, junior midfielder Kristina Schulz found the back of the net for the first time this season with a goal in the 78th minute. The goal is the second of Schulz’s career.

Although goalkeepers Rachel Estopare and Nicole Young gave the Cougars a strong effort, the Mustangs were able to score early and often.

Vanessa Valadez of the Mustangs gave her team a quick 1-0 lead with a goal in the 19th minute of play.

Shortly after scoring a goal, Valadez found teammate Hannah Fleet on an assist to give the mustangs a 2-0 lead in the 24th minute.

Perhaps rattled by the two quick scores, the Cougars allowed a third goal a minute later when Haley Thompson assisted Claire Oates to extend the Mustang lead to 3-0.

Despite the three early scores, Estopare and Young combined to save five Mustang shots on the goal. Each goalie participated in 45 minutes of action.

Cougar sophomore Desiree Bowen finishes as the team’s top scorer on the season with seven goals despite playing in just 775 minutes. Her .467 percent shot percentage also paces the Cougars.

Junior Selena Peters completes her season leading the team with five assists.