Winter Wonderland, choreography top off week’s events

winterwonderland

The Student Programming Board’s Winter Wonderland features several tons of snow, funnel cakes, hot chocolate and free items. | File photo/The Cougar

Tuesday: Center for Advanced Computing & Data Systems Workshop: Performance Tuning

Philip Guthrie Hoffman Building, Room 235

10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.

This free workshop for students interested in computing and data systems will cover serial and parallel performances, optimizing sequential programs, serial code profiling and analysis, tuning of parallel programs and parallel code profiling among other lessons. Students who want to attend can contact Amit Amritkar at [email protected].

Wednesday: Blake Rayne Exhibition

Blaffer Art Museum

10 a.m. – 5 p.m.

The Blaffer Art Museum continues with its exhibition of the first solo museum presentation dedicated to artist Blake Rayne. Rayne is renowned for his works including paintings, silk screens, sculptures, moving-images works and ephemera. The event is free for all students, faculty and staff.

Thursday: Cullen Performance Hall — Open House

Cullen Performance Hall

3  – 6 p.m.

The Cullen Performance Hall has undergone several renovations, improvements and upgrades in the last few months. In order to celebrate its update, the entire University of Houston community is invited to attend an event featuring backstage tours, free food and drinks and information about upcoming UH-related events.

Student Programming Board’s Annual Winter Wonderland

Lynn Eusan Park

Noon – 5 p.m.

The Student Programming Board is hosting their annual Winter Wonderland event, also known as UH’s “coldest tradition.” There will be free funnel cakes, hot chocolate, t-shirts and more. SPB will bring 120,000 pounds of snow to Lynn Eusan Park for sledding and snowball fights to celebrate the semester’s end. Other student organizations will also join in the fun.

Friday: Emerging Choreographers Showcase

Wortham Theatre

Noon –  7:30 p.m.

In a 16-year tradition, the UH School of Theatre and Dance will host the Emerging Choreographers Showcase to celebrate the talents in the Center for Choreography. Students choreograph, costume, produce and design the event in a professional theater setting. It’s $20 to the public, $15 for UH faculty, staff and alumni, $12 for seniors and $10 for students.