‘Twas the week of Fiesta: Events to attend

Fresh off of spring break, Frontier Fiesta kicks off this week with student variety shows, carnival booths, cook-offs and concerts in lot 20A.

This week will also see the opening of the Outdoor Leisure Pool at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

Monday

Scott Magelssen: Creation of the American Astronaut

4 to 5 p.m. at the Honors College Commons

Scott Magelssen, a professor from the University of Washington, will deliver a presentation on the creation and image of American astronauts. The lecture is part of the Blaffer Art Museum’s Innovation Series.

Tuesday

Spring Fling at the Outdoor Leisure Pool

3 to 6 p.m. at the Outdoor Leisure Pool

The Department of Campus Recreation will provide pizza to celebrate the re-opening of the Outdoor Leisure Pool. Free t-shirts will be given to the first 35 guests.

Thursday

The Yale L. Rosenberg Lecture

6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Krost Hall Room 201

UH Law Center Professor Renee Knake will give the keynote address titled “What Does It Mean to Be the First? Lessons from Women Shortlisted for the U.S. Supreme Court” at the Yale L. Rosenberg Memorial Lecture.

Friday

Frontier Fiesta

5 p.m. to 12 a.m. Thursday, 5 to 12 a.m. Friday and 11:30 a.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday at Lots 20A and 20C across from the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center

The long-standing University of Houston festival will begin Thursday night and end Saturday night. The events include variety shows, cook-offs, carnivals and a headline performance by rapper D.R.A.M. on Saturday night.

Saturday

‘Bout A Stranger

7 to 8 p.m. and 9 to 10 p.m. Thursday, Friday at 7 and 9 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m. at the Midtown Arts and Theater Center Houston

The University of Houston American Roots Ensemble, known as Cougar Roots, and the Open Dance Project present a performance inspired by the life and work of folk icon Woody Guthrie. Tickets can be purchased online at the MATCH website.