City News

UPDATE: DeGeneres directs Astros fans to gather at E. Cullen

Fans of the Astros and Ellen DeGeneres alike gathered outside the Ezekiel Cullen Building on Tuesday morning hoping to snag tickets to the World Series. | Nabil Ahsan/The Cougar

UPDATE Tuesday, 12:34 p.m.: Ellen DeGeneres tweeted an update to fans hoping for a shot at tickets to the World Series.

“You have 3 hours til you need to be at the E. Cullen building and be on my show,” she wrote in the tweet.

Thousands of UH students and Houstonians crowded the lawn in front of the Ezekiel Cullen Building on Tuesday morning while camera crews set up equipment for the taping, which will air on Wednesday’s show.

Monday, 4:31 p.m.: The Ellen DeGeneres Show will tape a segment of its Wednesday show at UH on Tuesday, UH spokesperson Mike Rosen said in an email. He said DeGeneres herself will be part of a remote call-back with students and producers present on campus.

“We are thrilled to host the segment,” Rosen said.

3:45 p.m.: DeGeneres tweeted an update at 3:40 p.m. Monday stating she plans to give away tickets to the World Series on campus on Tuesday.

It is unclear when or where the giveaway will take place.

3:27 p.m.: Comedian and talk show host Ellen DeGeneres announced in a tweet Monday that she will be near the University of Houston campus Tuesday. DeGeneres hinted the reason she will be in Houston is “very big” and may have something to do with the Houston Astros’ trip to the World Series.

In February, producers for DeGeneres’ show appeared at the University of Texas at Austin campus to give away tickets to the Grammy Awards. Students had just a few hours to pull together their best Beyoncé costumes and appear on the campus’ Main Mall.

The comedian also gave away Super Bowl tickets at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta in January.

DeGeneres is known for her positive humor and generosity toward her viewers and guests. Her show, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” has been on the air since 2003. She is also known for playing Dory in the popular Disney Pixar movies “Finding Nemo” and “Finding Dory.”

Spokespeople for UH did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

We will be updating this page as more details emerge.