Crime News

Update: HPD investigating report of sexual assault near campus

UPDATE 3 p.m. Thursday: The Houston Police Department’s Special Crimes Division is working closely with UHPD on the reported sexual assault. No suspects have been arrested and no charges have been filed at this time.

UPDATE 4:45 p.m. Tuesday: The University of Houston Police Department received a report on March 5 of a sexual assault that occurred near campus under the Interstate 45 bridge at Cullen Boulevard.

The incident took place March 2 around 2 a.m. and was initially reported to the Houston Police Department. UHPD sent out an alert update because of the incident’s proximity to campus.

“This security alert is issued for this off-campus incident with the best interest and safety of the UH Campus Community in mind,” a statement within the alert reads.

The person who filed the report, identified only by gender, is a UH student who said she was walking toward campus when she was approached by a male subject. According to UHPD, the man, now a possible suspect, then led the student to an outdoor area near the underpass and sexually assaulted her.

The suspect is described as a white male, possibly 50 years of age with a light complexion, reported to have been wearing a black shirt and blue jeans. His build is described as 5 feet 11 inches tall and weighing between 140-175 pounds.

Houston Police is actively investigating the report and encourages anyone with information about the incident to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-8477.