XFL set to return to TDECU Stadium

The Houston football team has suspended freshman defensive lineman Chidozie Nwankwo due to assault charges filed against him. | File Photo

TDECU Stadium will once again play host to the XFL when the league restarts in 2023. | File Photo

The XFL is set to make its return in 2023, as the league will return to Houston and play its home games at TDECU Stadium, the league announced Sunday.

TDECU Stadium will be home for one of the eight teams in the league, with five cities set to return while the league announced three new cities will take part in the new season next year.

Alongside Houston returning, Arlington, St. Louis, Seattle and Washington D.C. will all host teams once again while Las Vegas, Orlando and San Antonio will all welcome XFL teams for the first time.

The XFL will return for the first time since 2020, after its second iteration was cut short by the coronavirus pandemic.

Later that year, the league was sold to a new ownership group via bankruptcy, starting the potential of one day rebooting the league for a third time.

Head coaches and venues have been announced for seven of the eight teams, as Wade Phillips will be at the helm for the Houston franchise who will play its games at TDECU Stadium.