UH, TDECU extend stadium naming rights through 2034

TDECU Stadium, the home of UH football, will keep its name through 2034. | James Mueller/The Cougar

UH and TDECU have agreed to a partnership exceeding $20 million that extends the credit union’s naming rights of TDECU Stadium through 2034.

TDECU’s financial investment will go towards UH athletics’ Houston Rise fundraising campaign, and $14 million from the deal will be used to build Houston’s future football operations center.

With this gift, UH is in the mid-40” millions in terms of funding for the construction of the football operations center, according to athletic director Chris Pezman.

“We are trying to really build the football operations facility and raise funding for student-athletes (through) our $150 million campaign,” said UH president Renu Khator. “This is the star gift for us … We just think this gives us tremendous momentum and the certainty helps us plan.”

With the original naming rights deal with TDECU being through 2024, the new agreement will begin once the original deal officially expires.

The new contract also contains a mutual option to extend the agreement for an additional five years before 2034.

“This long-term commitment and investment by TDECU’s leaders demonstrate their vision, confidence and belief in our University and athletics program and will serve as an invaluable catalyst for our Houston Rise campaign as we move into the Big 12,” Pezman said.

Along with the deal with TDECU, Pezman said UH will continue to make more announcements regarding fundraising for Houston Rise in the coming weeks as the athletic department continues to push toward it’s $150 million goal.

As of now, Houston Rise has raised one-third ($50 million) of its goal, per Pezman.

“We’ve been a little strategic,” Pezman said. “We waited on some stuff because we wanted to have a crescendo and build into the season and have announcements stacked. We’ve got some more stuff coming.”

This story is developing and will be updated as more information becomes available