Wine tasting helps Frontier Fiesta

The Tasting Room Wine Caf’eacute; at 1101 Uptown Park Blvd. was the place to be seen in Cougar Land on Friday night as students, faculty and alumni enjoyed wines from all over the world at the Frontier Fiesta Drink For Fiesta Benefit Night, a fundraiser supporting the Frontier Fiesta Scholarship Fund. Head Cougar Football Coach Kevin Sumlin was also at the event enjoying a glass of wine and mingling with alumni and students.

‘I thought it was a creative way to get people excited about Frontier Fiesta,’ said Student Government Association Vice President Jonas Chin, a fan of the merlot they were serving that evening.

Chin especially enjoyed the event because he ‘couldn’t think of better colors for a UH event (than) red and white.’ The Frontier Fiesta Scholarship Fund raises money for 10 annual scholarships that will reward students for academic achievement and community service.

For each bottle and glass of wine sold to a customer who was ‘drinking for Fiesta,’ 25 percent of the profit was donated to the scholarship fun.

Jackie Stout, director of Development of Frontier Fiesta, and her programming board thought of the fundraising idea because of the troubled economy.

‘This year, getting outright sponsorship for Frontier Fiesta has been very difficult. We have been grasping at straws because of the economy,’ Stout said.

Stout sent out emails to many local wineries and restaurants and The Tasting Room responded with the idea of having a benefit night.

‘It turned out way better than expected,’ Stout said. ‘About 200 people ‘Drinking for Fiesta’ were in and out all night.’ She was pleased with The Tasting Room’s hospitality and looks forward to holding another Benefit Night for Frontier Fiesta on Feb. 20, this time with sectioned off private rooms for students, alumni and faculty to have a better chance to mingle.

‘It was nice to see so many different UH students coming together to support Frontier Fiesta,’ history senior and 2008 Homecoming Queen Mallory McKenney said.

Stout is also working with Maple Leaf Pub, located at the corner of Elgin Street and Brazos Street to hold a similar benefit. The date has not yet been determined.

Founded in 2003, The Tasting Room Wine Caf’eacute; has two other locations, including one at 114 Gray St. in Midtown and one at 2409 West Alabama St. in River Oaks.

Besides wine, The Tasting Room also serves beer for non-alcoholic drinkers and gourmet pizzas and other delicacies in a casual and open atmosphere.

The Tasting Room also received the City Search Houston Editorial award for Best Wine Bar in 2007 and 2008 and for Best Spot to Find Your Soul Mate in 2008.

Frontier Fiesta is an annual student-run and student-led festival that features part of the UH campus being transformed into ‘Fiesta City.’

It features free live concerts, variety shows by student organizations, carnival booths, multicultural performances and a barbecue cook-off. This year’s Frontier Fiesta will run from March 26-28.

Find out more about Frontier Fiesta, how to get involved and their scholarships at http://www.uh.edu/fiesta.