Mex in Tex dishes authentic taste

Finding authentic Mexican food in Houston is not a hard task. Unfortunately, popular Tex-Mex options such as Chipotle and Taco Cabana are so widespread that people go there instead of places serving honest Mexican cuisine.

Thankfully Tacos del Julio serves up great, authentic Mexican food at a good price.

From the beginning, there’s something different here. As opposed to other Tex-Mex places that bring chips and green and red salsas to your table, here they bring a small bowl of charro beans and bowls of onions, cilantro and limes. It is a very different approach that is refreshing from the usual chips and salsa you get anywhere else.

The menu is small, but filled with many flavorful dishes like the Tacos de Trompo, five tacos of wonderfully flavored beef with a pile of saut’eacute;ed onions and the option of adding pineapple, which offers a sweet accent to the savory tacos.

Another noteworthy dish is the Tacos Tlaquepaque, featuring tender, slow-cooked barbacoa beef and a spicy sauce with a strong smoky and earthy flavor. The uninitiated may want this sauce on the side, but it should not be omitted altogether as it adds a very distinctive taste to the tacos. Those uninterested in tortillas or carbs can opt for the Monterey 400, a plate of seasoned beef and steak with avocado and cheese.

Vegetarian options are also available. The Empalme is simple, deep fried tortillas with refried beans, cheese and avocado. Enchiladas are also available with just cheese or shredded chicken. The queso asadero cheese, from Mexican deli company Sigma Alimentos, tastes just right.

Small items such as the Gringa, seasoned meat with queso asadero, are very fulfilling and refreshingly different from their Tex-Mex counterparts. Even the kids’ menu is very much in tune with Tacos del Julio’s authentic Mexican menu.

While Tex-Mex is good food and fairly convenient for the college crowd, those who really enjoy it should explore its Mexican roots, which is abundant in Houston. Tacos del Julio is one of many great places to enjoy authentic Mexican food, though the search for this great cuisine should not end here.