SOUNDCHECK: Banjo legend spices up set list with orchestral sounds

Sufjan Stevens, a well-known folk artist and singer-songwriter, released his latest album, The BQE, on Tuesday.

The title is a reference to the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in New York City, Stevens’ current hometown.

Stevens is known for implementing a wide array of musical instruments into his songs. He originally played oboe and English horn in college, but’ he can also be heard playing guitar, drums, banjo and other instruments on his albums.

The BQE is an instrumental album featuring Stevens’ orchestral compositions. The album is being released as a DVD set, and also contains footage Stevens filmed himself.

Stevens first performed The BQE in its entirety in October of 2007 at the Howard Gilman Opera House in Brooklyn. The performance was commissioned by the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and it ran unadvertised for three days, selling’ 2,100 seats for each show.

The release of a full orchestral composition was a bit of a departure for Stevens, who is better known for his work with the guitar and banjo.

Stevens’ other works include Michigan and Sufjan Stevens Invites you to: Come on feel the Illinoise, both of which were a part of his 50 states project, which entails creating an album dedicated to each state in the union. Stevens has completed two albums since announcing the project in 2003.

Stevens grew up in Detroit and attended various private schools for his formal education. While studying at Hope College, he released his first solo project. The album was titled A Sun Came, and was released under Stevens’ own label, Asthmatic Kitty Records.

Featuring everything you would expect from a well-established composer, The BQE has elegant, flowing woodwind lines, coupled with ringing brass and horns. Sometimes blending music genres centuries apart, the fifth movement takes listeners on twists and turns between modern, classical, ragtime and jazz breakdowns.

The BQE contains many segments with odd time signatures, another trademark and demonstration of Stevens’ talent and sophistication as a musician and songwriter. The titles of each movement, such as ‘Movement VI – Isorhythmic Night Dance with Interchanges,’ also spark curiosity and interest.

Other tracks feature electronic instruments, an avenue Stevens has rarely explored since his second album, Enjoy Your Rabbit.

The entire album is quite an achievement for a composer who does not receive much attention. Whether The BQE will gain recognition in classical circles is uncertain, considering the audience Stevens established with his previous albums.

Although The BQE doesn’t include any of Stevens’ lyrics or verse, it retains his unique, idiosyncratic style. The end result is a powerful, aesthetically pleasing work of art.