RHA celebrates Mardi Gras madness

There’s nothing more attractive to a college student than the sweet sound of free food, free stuff and a Mardi Gras party with free admission.

The Residential Housing Association hosted Mardi Gras Madness in the Moody Towers Commons on fat Tuesday, from 7 p.m. “until they got tired of dancing,” said Ed Hoff, vice president of Special Programs.

This event was comprised of many fun and exciting games, as well as the latest pop jams and a variety of delectables from the food panel.

The sight of chocolate-covered marshmallows encouraged most people to join in on the action, creating an extensive line of students taking advantage of this rare opportunity.

Most students were inquiring about the free t-shirts (the gold of all things free) which, not surprisingly, happened to be the primary reason they decided to show up in the first place.

However, once the request was fulfilled, a majority of the students lingered around, socializing and even participating in some of the competitions.

It was refreshing to witness the student body capture the Mardi Gras spirit, and even more vitalizing to see such a diverse crowd of people.

The main purpose of the event was for people to have a good time and enjoy themselves, said numerous RHA committee members. This can be attested by a number of people who came and enjoyed the celebration.

Although there was a collection of great components that contributed to the achievement of this event, the highlight of the entire festivity was the dance and limbo competition.

Like any other participation request, students were apprehensive about signing up, but with the help of a little bribery, Rymonda Davis, president of RHA, was able to entice a couple of people into being a part of the two challenges, the first being a dance-off.

The final two contestants battle on the dance floor to Ke$ha’s hit song “Tik Tok.”

Then came the limbo contest, which unexpectedly included almost everyone there; this was obviously the crowd’s preference. The night was filled with laughter, fun and great entertainment.

The Residential Housing Association, with the sponsorship of Green UH, did a magnificent job of hosting this Mardi Gras celebration that displayed pure fun and laughter.