Music

UH student releases debut album

Market Junction comes from an academic musical background. Member Cody Garrett (right) is a current UH music student. | Courtesy of Cody Garrett/The Daily Cougar

On Tuesday, Market Junction released their debut album “Heroes Have Gravestones” under the label White Cat. bringing a new feel to the Americana genre, the album blends bluesy composition with country-style instrumentation.

“Kind of like country gold had a love child with the blues and the kid was raised by folk music,” said co-songwriter and lead vocalist Matt Parrish.

Throughout the album, Parrish exposes his personal experiences and situations in a comfortable setting.

The lyrics allow the listener to relate without having to translate vague jargon that plagues most up-and-coming artists’ writing in their unfortunately flawed effort to be unconventional.

“‘No Use Stopping Me Now’ was co-written with (band mate) Justin and my new wife Sara. That song tells that story in a way, along with the song “‘Drive,’” said Parrish.

“We decided the order of the record based on feel, tempo and storytelling.”

Market Junction shows us that originality comes from an ensemble as a whole.

The track “Elephant in the Room” features a theme in six-eight time signature — an uncommon beat pattern deployed almost exclusively by classically trained musicians.

Cody Garrett, on the keyboard, is currently studying music theory at UH’s Moores School of Music.

In the band’s songwriting process, Garrett is responsible for the finishing touches such as “adding color, texture and changes in the dynamic form,” Parrish said.

This attention to detail sets the group apart from bands that may not have the luxury of understanding the subtleties of writing music.

“Understanding key sensitivity has helped me to develop a keen aural focus, which is incredibly helpful for transcribing music of different styles,” said Parrish.

“I think it’s also important to become involved with music you’re less comfortable or familiar with off-campus. You learn a lot about yourself as an artist when you are required to use your classical tools to create new music.”

The musicianship of each individual is impressive to say the least.

It’s fair to assume that they all have a strong musical background, whether or not they decided to study music at the academic level.

“Heroes Have Gravestones” contains strong Christian undertones, namely in the song “Heavy Words.”

All members of the band are involved in their respective church worship group, which clearly reveals itself in the lyrics.

The text explains the songwriter’s strive to find words that will help his fellow man believe in the truth amidst a world of lies.

Whether or not you subscribe to the Christian faith, the lyrics should not be written off as assertive or evangelistic.

It feels as if Parrish is referring to the misleading nature of advertisements, political figures and social pressures — a subject to which we can all relate.

The band wears its heart on its sleeve in both written word and musical composition. The final track, “When We Were Free,” is an uplifting anthem forecasting a future of societal detriment.

The album concludes with a sing-along style chorus, followed by an ad-lib bluesy conclusion.

After all is said — or sung, rather — and done, Market Junction leaves the listener in a state of hope for the future and a feeling of freedom in the present.