Music

UH rock band set sights on labels

The Costigans have cemented their sound and feel around the alternative rock genre with songs like “Runner,” “Stay on Your Way,” “Carrie” and many others found on their Soundcloud music website and their Youtube music channel | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

The Costigans have cemented their sound and feel around the alternative rock genre with songs like “Runner,” “Stay on Your Way,” “Carrie” and many others found on their Soundcloud music website and their Youtube channel. | Rebekah Stearns/The Daily Cougar

UH psychology graduate John Najm knew all too well that the dying breed of the rock music scene in Houston, and the music industry as a whole, was in dire need of a breakthrough.

“The music industry now is awful. Nobody is really making any music, and the labels aren’t making any money, and the only money really to be made is off of tours,” Najm said.

Through a web of friendships, The Costigans consist of lead singer and guitarist Najm; drummer and computer information systems junior Adam Johnson; guitarist and UH-Downtown marketing junior Edgar Lopez; keyboardist and Notre Dame accounting graduate David Kirkland; and bass guitarist and psychology junior Pedro Berrizbeitia.

Each Costigan saw the band as a means to heightening his talent as well as improving the sound of the band.

“The first time I heard their music, I just clicked,” Johnson said.

“I liked it. I love how I could help throw in my own style to it. That’s what’s so good about this band: We can all implement our own styles into one thing.”

The John Mayer-inspired group keeps a library of songs yet to be released to the public. The eight songs on their Soundcloud page — like “Runner,” which harbors a jazzy feel with swift guitar riffs, and the soulful “Stay On Your Way” — certainly pinpoint the alternative rock sound that they’re gearing for.

The band has put plenty of achievements under its belt since its birth in 2008: Successful venue performances at Fitzgerald’s and Drink Houston and a special performance on a FOX 26 morning show in December have garnered plenty of head turns.

“We’ve had the luck of playing at different shows and having people of other places liking us so much that they invite us to their shows,” Lopez said.

However, building their fan base has been no easy task.

“It’s harder to get people to come out to shows because it is Houston. It’s so spread out, and there’s not much of a music scene and especially for a genre like ours,” Najm said.

For now, the primary goal heading toward next year is pulling a label to their side. Several calls have been made to several indie labels, including Simon Cowell’s SYCO label.

The Costigans have formed and perfected their symphonic alternative rock sound, allowing them to provide fresh air in the music sphere and nail their big break.

“We also need to find a manager with the thought of getting as big as we can get — being one of the biggest bands in the world, playing the biggest venues ever and making the best songs,” Najm said.

Until then, the quintet rock group practices during their Friday-night jam sessions, even during test-heavy semesters.

The Costigans will always keep their aim high.

“We’re all really busy outside of the band as far as work and school is concerned,” Lopez said.

“But hopefully this band will be able to take over the world someday.”