DIY valentines day gifts

Win points with your loved ones this Valentine’s Day with something creative and homemade. Put some thought into gifts for that special someone, friends, neighbors or co-workers. Do it yourself gifts are easy and fun to make.

The Daily Cougar sat down with UH students to see what their ideas were for a unique DIY Valentine’s Day gift.

“I would take a couple of red balloons and have tiny slips of paper with reasons why I like that person and what characteristics I like about them. Then have them pop the balloons and read all of the slips of paper,” said Kendra Chambliss, a biochemistry junior.

Don’t be afraid to bake desserts like cupcakes, cookies or a cake. Decorate them with pink or red frosting and fun heart-shaped sprinkles.

“Whenever I have a girlfriend on Valentine’s Day, I always like to bake them cupcakes. Most girls think that men can’t cook or bake, but I like to prove them wrong,” said Ahmad Hlayhel, a biology senior.

Not every DIY gift has to be given to a significant other.

“I usually give my friends goodie bags that are filled with Mexican candy like dulce de leche or cajeta (a sweet gooey caramel) that my mom and I brought back from our most recent vacation to Mexico. I know my friends appreciate it when I give them something different,” said Lizette Soto, a photography and digital media junior.

If you are still having trouble with ideas, do not be afraid to turn to the classic gifts such as a coupon book or a mixtape. Decorate and print out the coupons from the computer with things like “This coupon is good for a one hour massage” or “This coupon is good for one lunch or dinner of your choice.”