Food

Cool down from workouts with a “berry” green smoothie

Berry Green Smoothie

High in vitamins and bodily essentials. | Jasmine Tamez/The Daily Cougar

Fresh smoothies are an excellent way to obtain essential vitamins and minerals.The American Heart Association states that fruits and vegetables are an important part of an overall healthy eating plan. They are high in vitamins, minerals and fiber and are low in fat and calories. The AHA suggests creating smoothies with fresh fruit and juice to increase daily fruit intake.

“My favorite smoothie ingredients are fresh fruit. I always use 100 percent fruit juice to avoid empty calories from concentrate,” said kinesiology senior HelenaWeathersby. “If I want a milkier smoothie, I add low-carb vanilla protein powder. If I want to sweeten it up a bit, I opt for honey instead of sugar.”

Blissful, fruity concoctions satisfy the urge for sweet foods while delivering fuel the body needs to stay healthy.

Pre-business junior Taylor Polaniec finds smoothies convenient for busy students with hectic schedules.

“Grabbing a pre-made smoothie has become a habit of mine,” Polaniec said. “It allows me to spend more time focusing on other things. I can grab it on my way out and sip on it in the car.”

Public relations and marketing junior Ashley Coley also believes smoothies are a quick solution for keeping healthy while in a hurry.

“Smoothies provide a lot of vitamins and protein that will sustain my body until my next meal,” Coley said. “My absolute favorite smoothie ingredients are raspberries and mango.”

A variety of fresh fruits and wholesome ingredients can ensure a smoothie is not only satisfying but also maximizes its health benefits.

The “Berry” Green Smoothie contains spinach, bananas, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries, which are all high in vitamin C and antioxidants. Spinach contains anti-inflammatory phytonutrients and vitamins K and A. Blueberries maintain eye, brain and heart health. Additionally, Greek yogurt infuses probiotics to strengthen the immune system.

The “Berry” Green Smoothie

Makes 2 servings
Serving size: about 1 ½ cups

You will need:

• Blender

Ingredients:

• ½ banana, sliced
  • ¼ cup vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
  • ¾ cup nonfat milk
  • ¼ cup strawberries
  • ¼ cup blackberries
  • ¼ cup blueberries
  • ¼ cup red raspberries
  • ½ cup spinach leaves (about 1 handful)
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 10 ice cubes

Instructions:

Place all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth.

Pour and enjoy.