Uncategorized

Women’s soccer continues tie streak going into conference play

The Cougars failed to break a two-game tie streak in Lafayette on Friday, bringing their overall record to 1-2-4 and wrapping up the team’s non-conference matchups.

Although this match is their third straight tie, head coach Chris Pfau says he is proud of his team for rallying together and putting in extra effort to make a comeback after the Ragin’ Cajuns came out strong in the second half.

“What an unbelievable game for us. I am so proud of this team,” said Pfau. “We had every excuse going into this game to lose: a long, tough trip to Georgia, two overtime games last weekend and players sick and injured, but we battled and competed and figured out how to get a result on the road.”

The team’s only score came from freshman Georgi Dolence, who logged her first career goal to help the Cougars avoid a loss only 71 seconds after the Cajuns’ scored and helped to carry out Pfau’s overall goal of developing the team through experience.

“We are keeping the ball better and creating more scoring opportunities than we have since I have been here,” Pfau said. “If we keep doing that, our chances will start going in. The thing we have to do better is be a little more patient on the attack when teams get numbers in behind the ball. That will come as we play more together as a team.”

The Cougars host American Athletic Conference rival SMU (3-5) at 7 p.m. Thursday at Carl Lewis Field.