Life + Arts Movies

Fall is perfect season for films

Sweater weather, hot cocoa, the end of midterms, pumpkin everything and Thanksgiving –  just a few things to look forward to as the Fall season approaches. To get you even more hyped up for the Fall season, here is a list of eight mainstream and indie releases for you to enjoy. So grab your favorite person, some popcorn or leftover Halloween candy and head over to the nearest theater.

• Birdman

Release date: Oct. 17 Starring: Michael Keaton, Edward Norton, Emma Stone, Naomi Watts Director: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu
The scoop: A fading movie star (Michael Keaton), made famous for playing an iconic superhero named Birdman, struggles with ego, family troubles, and his sanity as he tries to regain his glory days in a Broadway play.

• Fury

Release date: Oct. 17 Starring: Brad Pitt, Shia LaBeouf, Logan Lerman, Michael Pena Director: David Ayer
The scoop: In this war drama on brotherhood and facing harsh realities, a group of WWII allies make their final push in Europe. A battle-hardened army sergeant named Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) commands a Sherman tank and his five-man crew into Nazi Germany on a deadly mission behind enemy lines. Wardaddy and his men then face overwhelming obstacles in their heroic attempts to strike at the heart of Nazi Germany.

• Interstellar
Birdman-FoxSearchlight

Michael Keaton as “Riggan” and Emma Stone as “Sam” in “Birdman” |Photo by Alison Rosa. Copyright © 2014 Twentieth Century Fox.

Release date: Nov. 7 Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, Bill Irwin Director: Christopher Nolan
The scoop: In this end-of-the-world space epic, a group of explorers test the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances in an interstellar voyage.

• Big Hero 6

Release date: Nov. 7 Starring: Jamie Chung, Ryan Potter, Scott Adsit Director: Don Hall, Chris Williams
The scoop: In this action, comedy adventure, a special bond develops between plus-sized inflatable robot Baymax, and prodigy Hiro Hamada. Hiro finds himself in the middle of a criminal plot that threatens to destroy the fast-paced, high-tech city of San Fransokyo. In efforts to save their city, the boy and his robot companion team up with a group of friends to form a band of high-tech heroes.

• The Theory of Everything

Release date: Nov. 14 Starring: Felicity Jones, Eddie Redmayne, Charlie Cox, Emily Watson Director: James Marsh
The scoop: The story follows the relationship between the famous astrophysicist Stephen Hawking and his wife, fellow Cambridge student Jane Wilde, as Hawking receives an earth-shattering diagnosis at 21 years of age. With the support of his wife, the renowned astrophysicist embarks on his most ambitious scientific work studying, the one thing he truly knows the value of — time.

• The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part I

Release date: Nov. 21 Starring: Jennifer Lawrence, Josh Hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Julianne Moore, Woody Harrelson, Elizabeth Banks Director: Francis Lawrence
The scoop:  In this science fiction adventure, the story continues to follow Katniss Everdeen who, after after escaping the Third Quarter Quell, shattering the games forever, and finding herself in District 13, must fight against all odds and save a nation moved by her courage.

• The Imitation Game

Release Date: Nov. 28   Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Keira Knightley, Matthew Goode Director: Morten Tyldum  
The scoop: Based on a true story, this perennial British-American historical thriller follows Alan Turing (pioneer of modern-day computing and credited with cracking the German Enigma code that helped the Allies win World War II) and his brilliant team at Britain’s top-secret code breaking centre, Bletchley Park.

• The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Release date: Dec. 17 Starring: Benedict Cumberbatch, Evangeline Lilly, Orlando Bloom, Ian McKellen, Martin Freeman Director: Peter Jackson
The scoop: This final battle brings to an epic conclusion the adventures of Bilbo Baggins, Thorin Oakenshield and the Company of Dwarves. After reclaiming their homeland from the Dragon Smaug, the Company has unwittingly unleashed a deadly force into the world. Bilbo and Company are then forced to be encircled in a war against an armed flock of combatants and the terrifying Smaug from acquiring a kingdom of treasure and obliterating all of Middle-Earth.